Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Did the SLS start life as a Dodge Viper????

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Did the SLS start life as a Dodge Viper????

Report: Dodge originally developed SLS AMG to be next-gen Viper — Autoblog

Thoughts on this??? With very similar dimensions, the SLS very well could have been originally aimed to be the next Viper, with Daimler owning both companies, but I doubt the whole story.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
I thought this was well-known?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light

Old 06-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jo_Switzer
I thought this was well-known?
If it was, I just found out about it. I knew the test mules were used with Vipers, but I thought that was because the close dimensions.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smy266
If it was, I just found out about it. I knew the test mules were used with Vipers, but I thought that was because the close dimensions.
My understanding was that Chryco was using lots of MB engineering dollars on the Viper, but the IP wasn't a part of the sale to Cerberus (because Cerberus are tools or something) so when the "split" with McLaren over the SLR happened, they dusted off the designs and put a retro 300SL body on it ...

Old 06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Teamspeed Member
LBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe this at all. Yes they used viper bodywork but you can see that even in the earliest images that the car has AMG Brakes. why would the viper team be testing cars with AMG brakes. It is easy to dream this stuff up when you look back on the images but it doesn't make it true.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
it pretty much looks like a neutered viper so, yes, i believe it.

- chuck

Old 06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I doubt it, dont think dodge would do a chassis like this with a cf driveshaft and light aluminum body and cf tube if my memory serves me right.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
There's also the chance that a Viper is the only thing with dimensions close enough to fit on this shape car.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Reminds me of when they used TVR bodies to make mules for the SLR.