Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Installing Windows on OS X 10.7.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Teamspeed Member
Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Installing Windows on OS X 10.7.2

Has anyone on here managed a successful install of Windows on a Mac with Lion (using Boot Camp)? Over the weekend I tried to put Windows 7 Ultimate on my Late 2011 Macbook Pro, and no matter what I did or tried, I always got an error when trying to boot the Windows install disc saying that I couldn't boot from the disc (error 5 is what it said specifically). That's all the farther I could get it. I would partition the hard drive, create the Mac software disc, etc. and then get to that point when the computer restarted. Any suggestions?

Also, since I tried that about 3 times, it will no longer let me partition my hard drive. Boot Camp keeps telling me I need to repair the disc, even after I repair it and restart again. Any idea what might be going on there?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you've done quite a job of chewing up the partition table and/or boot record on your drive. Your best bet is to recover the machine with OS X and start over with bootcamp.

As to doze, can't really help you as I've never intentionally installed a virus on one of my machines.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Teamspeed Member
Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Tatanko You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Simba
As to doze, can't really help you as I've never intentionally installed a virus on one of my machines.
Maybe I'm not up on my lingo, are you referring to Windows? I ONLY want it to play games. If I could play Windows-only games on the Mac side, I would have zero reason to even be attempting this because I prefer Mac 100%.

What I don't get is, like 4 years ago when I had an early '07 MBP with Leopard on it, I was able to install XP with absolutely no difficulty on the first try. How has it become so much more of a hassle in 4 years on basically the same operating system?

Last edited by Tatanko; 01-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tatanko
Maybe I'm not up on my lingo, are you referring to Windows? I ONLY want it to play games. If I could play Windows-only games on the Mac side, I would have zero reason to even be attempting this because I prefer Mac 100%.

What I don't get is, like 4 years ago when I had an early '07 MBP with Leopard on it, I was able to install XP with absolutely no difficulty on the first try. How has it become so much more of a hassle in 4 years on basically the same operating system?
Mac users are not allowed to have fun is what Simba's saying.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
Mac users are not allowed to have fun is what Simba's saying.
More like, Mac users work for a living.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tatanko
Doze 7 is really not all that similar to XP in many (unfortunate) ways.

As to your specific installation problems, I can't offer much help as I've never had any need to do it myself. From what I've read, you need to be running OS X 10.7 with the latest Boot Camp (3.1) in order to install Doze 7.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond reputeslord has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't installed 7 yet and doubt I will. thought I needed it for a software program, but ended up not. Not much of a gamer (like I have time for that anyway) but I have installed XP in snow leopard and it went flawlessly. Maybe Lion is different, haven't tried yet.

FYI installed XP on an '07 MBP, and now have an '11 MBP without windows (yet?)

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Banned
For what it's worth, the best way to run doze on a mac when you absolutely must is to virtualize it via some method, be it vmware, parallels, virtualbox or what have you.

The only issue with virtualization tends to be with, yes, games that want direct video hardware access and such.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
i just use parallels....works great. I really only use windows for my durametric but it works great.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by Simba
For what it's worth, the best way to run doze on a mac when you absolutely must is to virtualize it via some method, be it vmware, parallels, virtualbox or what have you.

The only issue with virtualization tends to be with, yes, games that want direct video hardware access and such.
That's the thing... this whole idea is almost entirely for gaming purposes. As far as productivity goes, there's nothing I need that can't be run on Mac.

Quick Reply: Installing Windows on OS X 10.7.2