Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Digital connector question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Digital connector question

This is the cable I use between my Airport Express and my A/V processor...It works fine...

On my older Mac laptops the digital end always just plugged right into my laptop and it worked fine..

Now it doesn't fit snugly and doesn't work...

Has apple changed the headphone output jack at all? it used to be a combination analogue digital output I thought...

Anyone know anything about this?

Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
I just checked and the cable works fine on my iMac...does not work on the two MacAir's I've had.

frustrating....

Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 PM
MrTheBadGuy
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1579012

bastards got me again..

I think...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
MBA does not have an built in optical output. On the MBA you can use a USB to S/PDIF bridge (like the M-Audio transit), or wait a bit for the several Thunderbolt bridges that will be released shortly.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Banned
SoCal is an unknown quantity at this point
Steve Jobs to the rescue.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:28 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Originally Posted by Simba
MBA does not have an built in optical output. On the MBA you can use a USB to S/PDIF bridge (like the M-Audio transit), or wait a bit for the several Thunderbolt bridges that will be released shortly.
jeez..no one told me!

I set up Airport express and am using Remote app which is nice...can't seem to see if and how you can stream directly to Airport Express from iPhone...only seem to be able to control iTunes on another computer and stream from there.

Of course this means I want a Mini to just hardwire it which will sound better anyway through my D/A converter but ...would be cool to be able to go from iPhone to airport...

I know the new iPads can do this..

hmmm

Old 08-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Control It
can't seem to see if and how you can stream directly to Airport Express from iPhone..
Phone must be on the APE network. If your firmware is fresh on the APE and you're running iOS 4.2 or better, it'll work.

Play a song in the iPod app, click the "send to device" button (triangle in box) and select your APE.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Originally Posted by Simba
Phone must be on the APE network. If your firmware is fresh on the APE and you're running iOS 4.2 or better, it'll work.

Play a song in the iPod app, click the "send to device" button (triangle in box) and select your APE.
This is weird....I had it working and now I don't see that triangle anymore..

Also following instructions to get the iPhone to control Apple TV and that's doesn't seem to be working either...

so weird...Home sharing is on...Network is working fine...apple tv works fine but can't seem to figure out how to control it with the iPhone..

hmmm

Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 AM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
Dear Mark,

Please, be far more careful this time.

Sincerely the guy who told you last time and you didn't listen,
Sean

Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 AM
MrTheBadGuy
Got an 'unknown error.." it reset and things are starting to work....very odd.

Thanks Simba (as usual!)

So the iPhone controls the music via Apple TV...but I had hoped it would replace the remote of the Apple TV...yet I don't see any way for it to do that..

am I missing something obvious?

Quick Reply: Digital connector question