Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

If you own several iPhones in the household. (OS Update related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
If you own several iPhones in the household. (OS Update related)

We have a couple iPhones in the household. I noticed that this is the THIRD update Apple has released for the OS this MONTH!!!

Its annoying to update each phone one by one and re-downloading the same file over and over again.

Is there any way to download the update once and apply to all the phones? Saves me a lot of time

Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
My wife and I each have an iPhone 4 and I only have to download the update once on my laptop and use that to do the update on both. The only time I have to download again is if it's for a different device like an iPad. I'm also assuming you would need to download different software for different gen iPhones.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I'm starting to get annoyed having to sync all my apple products lol.

I wish if I DL a song on one device, it automatically DL them on my other devices. Worse issues to complain about I know...

Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
If they're all bound to the same Mac, you can update them all without repeating the download. Otherwise it needs to be downloaded on each machine. (You could, technically, copy the file over to the other machines once downloaded, but that's something of a PITA).

Most people complain when a vendor doesn't update things fast enough.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Simba
If they're all bound to the same Mac, you can update them all without repeating the download. Otherwise it needs to be downloaded on each machine. (You could, technically, copy the file over to the other machines once downloaded, but that's something of a PITA).

Most people complain when a vendor doesn't update things fast enough.
Like I said; small complaints considering lol

Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
^What Simba said! I have read some rumors that Apple is trying to rewrite the iOS so that the new patches will only consist of the added code, and not the entire file. I guess it'll happen in iOS 5 at the earliest, but among those same rumors they're guessing Apple might be able to do wireless updates of the OS too as their new tech center is kicking into first gear. I'm holding thumbs that these rumors will be true

Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike S
We have a couple iPhones in the household. I noticed that this is the THIRD update Apple has released for the OS this MONTH!!!

Its annoying to update each phone one by one and re-downloading the same file over and over again.

Is there any way to download the update once and apply to all the phones? Saves me a lot of time
To be a bit an4l, there's actually only been one update this month The last one only contained the 'locationgate' fix.

"iOS 4.3.1 was released on March 25, 2011. It addressed an occasional graphics glitch on the fourth generation iPod touch, resolved bugs that were related to activating and connecting to some cellular networks, fixed image flickering when using an Apple Digital AV Adapter with some TVs, and resolved an issue authenticating with some enterprise web services.[22]

iOS 4.3.2 (4.2.7 for CDMA iPhone) was released on April 14, 2011. It fixed an issue that occasionally caused blank or frozen video during a FaceTime call, issues that prevented some international users from connecting to 3G networks on iPads, and contained the latest security updates.[23]

iOS 4.3.3 was released on May 4, 2011 in response to the discovery of location services caching in iTunes. The update reduces the size of the cache, prevents it from being uploaded during synchronization, and erases it when location services are turned off.[24][25]"

Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to keep downloading them and re-sync'ing.... argh!

@Bronto: Haha, I did exaggerate, but everytime I sync my phone it almost feels like there is an update. If not for iOS, then for iTunes.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Mike S
Thanks guys. I guess I will have to keep downloading them and re-sync'ing.... argh!

@Bronto: Haha, I did exaggerate, but everytime I sync my phone it almost feels like there is an update. If not for iOS, then for iTunes.
Yeah I know. But for some reason I just love doing those updates. As I'm a technology nerd, I dig having the freshest piece of software

Although the iOS is more of a hassle as it's so large, so if they managed to make it patchable instead it would be a lot smoother.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Axman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond reputeAxman has a reputation beyond repute
Thank´s guy´s for reminding me, haven´t done a update or backup for 2-3 months now,