Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Overview of Windows XP/Win 7 dual boot

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned
chapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond repute
Overview of Windows XP/Win 7 dual boot

This may be beneficial to some people and this may not be to some people. But for people who don't know, dual booting a Mac with Windows is probably one of THE best features about buying an Apple computer, and not to mention they give it to you for free. Thank god for BootCamp!
I dumbed my review so everyone can understand in a normal way.. hope you like it.
Pro's of Windows XP installed:
I have successfully (finally) loaded on Windows XP Pro onto my MacBook Pro. To be honest, this runs MUCH smoother than Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 in general on the Mac. I do find the Mac keyboard structure is more stable, and actually works responsively compared to Windows 7. I have noticed (i don't know about anyone else), that when BootCamp installs Windows 7 and everything is set and stone, that I found Windows 7 to be buggy on the Apple and just not working right... it just doesn't feel like it installs correctly. One other thing to point out to people considering Windows partitioning on the Apple is that I found way more updates/support to download from "Apple Software Updater" for Windows XP. When I installed Windows 7 there wasn't a whole lot of support Apple wanted you to update, leaving you with some buggy stuff. **I don't know if they fixed it?**
Cons of Windows XP installed:
TAKES FOREVER! This is the first thing I will mention. I literally sat on BootCamp installing Windows XP for about 3 hours. My Mac WSOD (white screen of death) 2 times, lasting for a period of 10-15 minutes each. This scared me when I would reboot, nothing would show up. But once it's installed you're golden. Unlike Win 7 where it installs quick and easy; takes about 30 minutes to an hour.
On your traditional Mac, "Command + C" copies, and "Command + V" pastes, just like a Windows PC. Well, first off on Windows XP dual booted you can NOT get that option working. You have to "right-click" everything to copy/paste. Very annoying. Another thing, to connect to a wireless network on XP it takes FOREVER. It takes 20 seconds longer to detect than a natural PC with XP. I think the NVIDIA network controller is bugged. Another "Con" is when you're downloading updates, you HAVE to leave the update window up or else you'll experience "crashes" of the system. And really that is about it on this one, not a whole lot.

On a good note, depending on what you're trying to do with your Mac, going with XP dual boot or Win 7, they're both relatively great installed. But, just know BOTH have little bugs that Windows solved with their PC's and the traces of those early problems are found on Apple's plat-formed computers.
But anyways, this was just a simple post explaining my thoughts comparing Windows XP vs. Windows 7 installed on an Apple computer and in no way am I taking a particular side, I'll let you decide, but keep in mind this is just to inform fellow TS'ers.
Thanks for viewing!