Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Just ordered OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, everything is finally working great. I did a hard reset and was able to overcome the weird script errors which were haunting the time-machine. Onto the performance...

It boots super fast, shuts down in a couple seconds (literally). Overall, I'm very happy with it. The final test was to hit the photoshop, itunes, ms word, safari and ms powerpoint apps all one after the other as fast as I could. They all loaded in about 4 seconds. I would've been staring at a beachball for 30+ seconds with the old hdd. 120gb is fine for me, like some other people who posted, I keep the music and other riffraff on my external. The only negative thing I've noticed is that the battery life has gone down quite substantially, although I am still on the original battery that's now 3 years old. I'm sure it will be fine if/when I change the battery, but it still runs for about an hour and half off the charger, which is good enough for me.

I recommend this mod, and thanks to F1-LH for posting this up initially...

Now onto getting a bigger monitor for this thing.

Last edited by ZAMIRZ; 11-06-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned
chapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Ok, everything is finally working great. I did a hard reset and was able to overcome the weird script errors which were haunting the time-machine. Onto the performance...

It boots super fast, shuts down in a couple seconds (literally). Overall, I'm very happy with it. The final test was to hit the photoshop, itunes, ms word, safari and ms powerpoint apps all one after the other as fast as I could. They all loaded in about 4 seconds. I would've been staring at a beachball for 30+ seconds with the old hdd. 120gb is fine for me, like some other people who posted, I keep the music and other riffraff on my external. The only negative thing I've noticed is that the battery life has gone down quite substantially, although I am still on the original battery that's now 3 years old. I'm sure it will be fine if/when I change the battery, but it still runs for about an hour and half off the charger, which is good enough for me.

I recommend this mod, and thanks to F1-LH for posting this up initially...

Now onto getting a bigger monitor for this thing.
Good deal Zamirz I am glad you are liking it and glad you solved your issues. Yeah my battery life is fine? What are your power settings? You change which performance setting you'd like, that's probably 99.9% your issue. You may be selecting "Better graphics", try selecting "power saver".

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Ruf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the rough
I plan to upgrade my MBP to SSD. Probably need to upgrade the 2MB ram as well? Any clues F1-LH? You have PM.

Cheers

Roland AKA Ruf Racer

Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned
chapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond reputechapsbk has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ruf_Magian
I plan to upgrade my MBP to SSD. Probably need to upgrade the 2MB ram as well? Any clues F1-LH? You have PM.

Cheers

Roland AKA Ruf Racer
I am all out of codes to use, but if you go onto newegg it's Cyber Monday, so there should be great deals, head over to crucial.com as well see what RAM they have.
SSD's I'd only buy from newegg.
I'll let you know if I get some codes.

About the clues, get an OCZ SSD or a Crucial SSD. Quality is unmatched and great reliability. If you have to, look at Intel as well.. just be prepared to sell your life for one

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Ruf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the roughRuf_Magian is a jewel in the rough
Need an instruction set detailing hard drive swap out.I've not been able to find a download for my MBP.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Cheers,
Roland AKA Ruf Rac

Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Ruf_Magian
Need an instruction set detailing hard drive swap out.I've not been able to find a download for my MBP.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Cheers,
Roland AKA Ruf Rac
Ruf, ok so on the bottom of your MacBook Pro you have a set of screws on the outer most edges. unscrew all the screws that are holding your bottom aluminum plate.
once plate is removed, locate hard drive.
there is a black bar going across the bottom of the hard drive keeping the drive from moving, remove that.
once removed, take the SATA cable that plugs the hard drive in. replace old hard drive with new hard drive.
once everything has been put back together, boot the hard drive with the Mac OSX install DVD.
once the Mac is reading the install DVD, click "utilties" on the top bar, and select your new hard drive. you want to reformat the drive to "Mac OSX (Journaled)"
once the drive has been reformatted enjoy the drive!!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Thanks for the reply F1-LH! Up & running with no problems.Because my MBP is an 08 model I needed Torx & Philips tools to access the HD.
The result is worth the effort.I enjoyed the task & I learned a few things.
BTW,I am impressed by the mechanical engineering! Thermal management techniques are in some cases subtle but ever so cool! The heat pipe cabling techniques are clever & effective.

Cheers,

Roland

Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond reputeZAMIRZ has a reputation beyond repute
Well, mine just kicked the bucket after 6 months. I've contacted OCZ and started an RMA, lets see how they handle this.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
thedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond reputethedude has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Well, mine just kicked the bucket after 6 months. I've contacted OCZ and started an RMA, lets see how they handle this.
Thats BS, hope you get a full refund dude.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
My Crucial Real SSD (256GB) failed after 8 months about a week ago.

Cost me a lot of headaches. I got it replaced under warranty but what a headache.

I do love the speed of the SSD though.

Quick Reply: Just ordered OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD