Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Admin password recovery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009 | 11:50 PM
|
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Admin password recovery?

I'm by no means a Mac guy... I could make the leap easily, but thats another discussion.

Anyways...
My wife has an iMac, PowerPC G5(isight) 2.1 g, 20 inch. The last of the PowerPC processors before the Intel switch.

The only thing she uses it for is email and web browsing. Well, I upgraded the ram in the thing today and started monkeying around with it, trying to tune it up. I got to a point that the machine started asking for the Admin password.

Lord only knows what that is. So... How in the heck do I recover the admin password?

I tried using the Tiger OS X install disk, by using the password recovery utility in the install. But the damn computer asked for the admin password before I could run the damn install disk!

How do I recover the password?!

Old 08-10-2009 | 12:06 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
The easy way is to boot with an install DVD (reboot with the disk in, hold C), then use the password reset utility. When it prompts you for a password, it's telling you to input a NEW one. You can't have a blank root password.

Alternatively, you can do it without an install DVD in single user mode.

1) Reboot the machine and hold down Command (apple key) and S. The system will boot to single user mode (terminal only, no GUI).

2) At the prompt, type "/sbin/fsck -y" (without the quotes) and hit enter.

3) Type "/sbin/mount -wu /" (without quotes) and hit enter.

4) Type "/sbin/SystemStarter" (without quotes) and hit enter.

5) Type "passwd root" (without quotes) and hit enter. You'll be prompted (twice) to specify a new password for root. Once completed, this is your new "admin" password.

6) Type "reboot" and hit enter. Machine will restart normally and you can now use the new root/admin password.

Old 08-10-2009 | 09:00 AM
|
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Oh wow... You're getting all Unix'sy on me! Love it. That brings back some memories.

THANK YOU.

Old 08-10-2009 | 07:51 PM
|
TeH Ears
Simba, I used option one, rebooting with the disc in, holding C.

It took me to the install screens, and was seemingly preparing to do an OS install. I was never prompted for a password. I got to the screen that was requesting which type of install I wanted to do, before aborting, shutting down and starting the machine over again.

Old 08-10-2009 | 08:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
... or you can use the basic password retrieval command "fdisk"

Old 08-10-2009 | 08:34 PM
|
TeH Ears
I'm just gonna have to have my southern wife visit you at a certain point in the month...

You will never have experienced such pain.

Old 08-10-2009 | 08:35 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
Simba, I used option one, rebooting with the disc in, holding C.

It took me to the install screens, and was seemingly preparing to do an OS install. I was never prompted for a password. I got to the screen that was requesting which type of install I wanted to do, before aborting, shutting down and starting the machine over again.
Just go the single user mode route in the rest of his post.

Old 08-10-2009 | 08:37 PM
|
TeH Ears
I'm gonna... However, I've had my ass kicked off the mac by my four year old. Seems she's got some really important things to do on PBS Kids.

Old 08-10-2009 | 09:18 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I'm gonna... However, I've had my ass kicked off the mac by my four year old. Seems she's got some really important things to do on PBS Kids.
LOL! Stand aside brother...nothing to see here.

Old 08-11-2009 | 10:43 AM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
It took me to the install screens, and was seemingly preparing to do an OS install.
When you boot with the install DVD, it will take you to the installer program. Quit that, and the password recovery utility is in the menu bar by disk utility, etc.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Admin password recovery?