Notices
All Things Apple The Teamspeed Genius Bar!
Enter here to discuss your Apple products including iPhone, iPod, MacBooks and more!

Apple Sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 03:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
jay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Apple Sale

Hey guys,

Its time for me to buy a new laptop. I have zero knowledge of Macs, but am thinking about buying one. Will the $999 Macbook let me run Windows also?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated!

Jay

Old 07-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I am not 100% positive, but I believe all the new Macs will let you run Bootcamp (the dual-boot). Keep in mind you have to provide your own copy of Windows...

FWIW, my wife loves her MacBook. I have a PowerBook G4 currently and will probably add a MacBook Air since I travel so much. No complaints here.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
You can dual boot into Bootcamp for Windows, but if you want a Windows session while also in the Mac OS X environment you will need Parallels or VMWare. I run Parallels on my Mac Book Pro and have both Windows XP and Windows 7 (release candidate) running just fine.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond reputejay_ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
You can dual boot into Bootcamp for Windows, but if you want a Windows session while also in the Mac OS X environment you will need Parallels or VMWare. I run Parallels on my Mac Book Pro and have both Windows XP and Windows 7 (release candidate) running just fine.
What do you mean running Windows and Mac OS X at the same time? Sorry I'm a computer newb.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jay_ftw
What do you mean running Windows and Mac OS X at the same time? Sorry I'm a computer newb.
He means just that. You can run both Operating Systems at the same time, and switch between the two as you like. Otherwise (if you were to just use bootcamp) you have to log out of one to use the other.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Craigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond reputeCraigger has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Russ
He means just that. You can run both Operating Systems at the same time, and switch between the two as you like. Otherwise (if you were to just use bootcamp) you have to log out of one to use the other.
please note that while you can run both at the same time, you are essentially splitting system resources. If you're running something cpu/ram intensive, its best to only run one OS at a time. Example - playing COD needs windows by itself.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
So going by what you guys said, for what I will be doing, I'd have no problems just running bootcamp. I have no problems having to log in and out. Is bootcamp something that is included with the Macs? Or is it a program that I have to pay for?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, bootcamp is included so all you have to do is get a copy of whichever windows os you want to run and install. It's a fairly easy setup as well, I did it on mine about a month ago. Even easier if you are starting with a fresh machine.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by mkell
Yep, bootcamp is included so all you have to do is get a copy of whichever windows os you want to run and install. It's a fairly easy setup as well, I did it on mine about a month ago. Even easier if you are starting with a fresh machine.
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I know Apple is running back to school specials where you can get a rebate for a free iTouch...any better deals out there?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
mkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond reputemkell has a reputation beyond repute
Not that I know of for new machines. I'm not positive, but they may give you $100 towards a printer too as well.

Quick Reply: Apple Sale