Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

I'm about to totally change up my car again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Blakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond repute
I'm about to totally change up my car again.

I've been living in this gray area. I have the car now set up to be a DE/track day car. I've gone so far into that that I don't even really drive it on the street anymore. I am getting to where I don't want to just go to track days, but I want to start to race. I think Synergy Racing's going to build my car into a GTB class full-on race car.

I'm not 100% on this. More like 90%. And before you all start telling me that I'd be better off to sell and start over, let me say that... well, I want to do it with THIS car. Period. "We're tight like dat."

If you want to look into what I'm talking about doing more (which I think you should...) go to Synergy's site. Also, look on just about any issue of Excellence magazine and there's a Performance Friction ad with a Synergy GTB race car on it. That's where I'm most likely going.

I'd love to hear what each of you think, though. As I said, I'm not 100%.

Needless to say, if I do this, I'm going to have a TON of parts that I can't use in GTB. I'm just going to make the list here. As I make the threads in the For Sale Section, I'll add the hyperlinks in here by editing this post. This is not a for sale post here though. I think for you guys to help me finalize this decision, you'll need to know what all I have to take off, get rid of, and change. Might as well make them hyperlinks too.

This HUGE change... again... seems to be all that I can think about.

VF Engineering Supercharger for 997S. SOLD

GMG GT Roll/Harness Bar for any 997.

Brembo 380mm 6 piston brake kit SOLD

Volk TE-37 wheels

GMG GT3RS carbon rear wing/deck lid

Cargraphic GT2 rear wing/deck lid

Cargraphic GT3 front bumper SOLD

OEM 997 rear bumper

Avus AF-MO2 20" wheels with tires SOLD

Factory Black Carrera S Lobster Claw 19" wheels with MPSC

Cobra Carbon Fiber/alcantara Suzuka S Technology seats

Factory 997S power seats

Custom subwoofer box with 2 JL Audio 8W0 subs

Various Toyo R888s

One 98% new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30ZR18

Two 98% new Michelin Pilot Sport Cups 235/40ZR18

Last edited by Blakt Out; 12-16-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Go for it live the dream I totally understand your connection to the car and since its barely drivable already might as well go all out please keep us posted

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Jared, sounds like you're taking things to the next level. You are an addict! I think you're better off parting the car out (it may take some time though) since it'll be tough to find the exact buyer that wants your exact setup with big money to spend. Worse case scenario you can slowly sell me your parts.

What do you guys think of these wheels!? I thought about putting them on my car.
Avus 20" Black Wheels

Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Blakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
Jared, sounds like you're taking things to the next level. You are an addict! I think you're better off parting the car out (it may take some time though) since it'll be tough to find the exact buyer that wants your exact setup with big money to spend. Worse case scenario you can slowly sell me your parts.

What do you guys think of these wheels!? I thought about putting them on my car.
Avus 20" Black Wheels
Hey buddy,

I think you're right. I wouldn't CONSIDER selling my car for less than $150K, and I'm losing my a$$ at that. I think those wheels are dope... and they're about 10 steps from me right now!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by like.no.other
Go for it live the dream I totally understand your connection to the car and since its barely drivable already might as well go all out please keep us posted
Will do, buddy.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
How much for the custom sub? Easy to install?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Extremely easy to install. It's so well designed that the hard plastic things in the top of the backs of the seatbacks hold it in perfectly. It's not going anywhere. Check out how even the stitching is the same as the car's interior...

Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Jared.....

As JimB said on RL, sale your car and buy a 996 Cup Car. It will be better in every way. Trust me.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hey buddy,

Isn't there a crazy amount of engine and transmission upkeep in a Cup Car? Like an engine rebuild every 50 hours?

Jared

Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Starting where you are right now, is the car suitable as a platform for the GTB class? If the best case scenario is for you to build a car that's half a second off the pace, you'll wind up frustrated in the mid-pack, no matter how well you drive.

Also, given your obvious emotional attachment to the car, are you willing to risk totaling it on the first corner of your first race.

As a general principle, I've always felt that street cars are things to be cherished, whereas a race car should be regarded as more of a throwaway item. By that, I mean that if you smash it up in one race, your only emotional reaction is to how much you'll need to spend to be ready for the next race.

Quick Reply: I'm about to totally change up my car again.