Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

I'm about to totally change up my car again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Well, he'll be mid-pack, but he's in GTB so....that doesn't really matter.

There's re-build, but if you're a good driver, it can eliminate a lot of money during the re-build. Also, GTB is real week too. I'd sell your car and get a Cup Car or build an I stock car. That's just me..

At the big races (Road Atlanta, Sebring, Road America..) there will only be 3 or 4 GTB cars and then at the smaller races, you'll be lucky to run against one other one.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Blakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PMac
Starting where you are right now, is the car suitable as a platform for the GTB class? If the best case scenario is for you to build a car that's half a second off the pace, you'll wind up frustrated in the mid-pack, no matter how well you drive.

Also, given your obvious emotional attachment to the car, are you willing to risk totaling it on the first corner of your first race.

As a general principle, I've always felt that street cars are things to be cherished, whereas a race car should be regarded as more of a throwaway item. By that, I mean that if you smash it up in one race, your only emotional reaction is to how much you'll need to spend to be ready for the next race.
VERY good points. I don't cherish my car so much, inasfar as keeping it perfect. But I want it to be the car that I have all the way through the experience. I don't know why. I just do.

It will work really well in GTB. It has the entire Cup car suspension, but with Motons. It has the Limited slip, the racing clutch, the flywheel, the brakes, and the harnesses. I'll sell my seats for what it costs to get the halo seats. I don't know a street car that would better transfer over to being a GTB car.

Am I ok with totaling it? As much as I would be anything else. I'd much rather total it than my Datsun (for real).

Old 12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Blakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniD
Well, he'll be mid-pack, but he's in GTB so....that doesn't really matter.

There's re-build, but if you're a good driver, it can eliminate a lot of money during the re-build. Also, GTB is real week too. I'd sell your car and get a Cup Car or build an I stock car. That's just me..

At the big races (Road Atlanta, Sebring, Road America..) there will only be 3 or 4 GTB cars and then at the smaller races, you'll be lucky to run against one other one.

I can't afford a GTA car right now, and I'm learning. Seems like, being just 30 years old, it'd be smarter to just get to RACE and then move up from there in a year or so.

I could TOTALLY be wrong. I know that you have a very real idea of this, MiniD. Maybe we should meet up, you see my car, we have some beer, and figure this thing out.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Blakt Out
I'd much rather total it than my Datsun (for real).
You have a GT-R ?!?!?!

But, seriously, I'd say go for it.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
I can't afford a GTA car right now, and I'm learning. Seems like, being just 30 years old, it'd be smarter to just get to RACE and then move up from there in a year or so.

I could TOTALLY be wrong. I know that you have a very real idea of this, MiniD. Maybe we should meet up, you see my car, we have some beer, and figure this thing out.
Dood, I'm 15.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Jared, come to Atlanta next weekend. MiniD and his dad are coming with a crew of us from 6/TS for go-kart racing. You can bring the wheels too and you'll kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm sure you'll kick my *ss on the track.

Oops sorry Connor I keep inviting people to your bday without asking you. lol

Originally Posted by MiniD
Dood, I'm 15.
You can drink Kool Aid.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
It's This Weekend Fooo.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like its gonna be real fun! DEFINATELY go for it and keep us updated!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond reputedhinkle has a reputation beyond repute

MiniD does have a better idea than most, even at 15. Come over to our shop in Knoxville and we can give you insight on what to race to help you develop your skills. We have a 21 year old college student that raced with us this year moving into the VW Jetta TDI series. We're not as flashy as some of the bigger named shops but we build wickdly fast cars and can work with drivers to get them at the front of the pack. PM if you want to set a time to meet.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Teamspeed Member
GSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to allGSlider is a name known to all
Extremely easy to install. It's so well designed that the hard plastic things in the top of the backs of the seatbacks hold it in perfectly. It's not going anywhere. Check out how even the stitching is the same as the car's interior...

That is a nice enclosure there. I love clean, simple installs. GL on your car with all your mods your doing. Can't wait to see.

Quick Reply: I'm about to totally change up my car again.