Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

I shouldn't have done that...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
I shouldn't have done that...

Fvck me.

I test drove my dealer's meteor grey 2010 997.2 TT with PDK and it is just stupid fast. Although I've always had a 6 speed MT 911s, I'm actually thinking about a PDK TT. The effortless power matched with the ultrafast shifting of the PDK system is pretty intoxicating.

My only question is whether or not the PDK will end up being like saccharine...initially sweet, but with a bad aftertaste in the end.

Anyone that has switched from a stick to PDK that has opinions on this?

Chris from Cali gave me a great perspective...thanks Chris!

Crap...this is probably going to be a really expensive Saturday afternoon...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
My expensive dilemma was whether to go super size or not. Kidding aside, if I were in your shoes I'd go with the 6 speed. PDK is amazing but I've driven cars with paddle shift and after awhile gets boring. That's just me and I have yet to experience the PDK transmission. I've always enjoyed a manuals

Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
My expensive dilemma was whether to go super size or not. Kidding aside, if I were in your shoes I'd go with the 6 speed. PDK is amazing but I've driven cars with paddle shift and after awhile gets boring. That's just me and I have yet to experience the PDK transmission. I've always enjoyed a manuals
Yeah...My 08 TT is a 6 speed and I love it and would never even consider a tiptronic slush box. But, geez, PDK is a totally different beast...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I would buy PDK fo sho. And I've never owned anything but a manual in my life. They aren't even offering the new 458 Italia with a manual, which I am considering ordering, and that just makes my hair hurt! But if I were ordering a new Porsche Turbo, I would go PDK without hesitation. It does everything right.

Buy the new car, before Obama takes all your money away . . . :-)

Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not a convert. Although I have driven F1 F-cars, and enjoyed the experience, I enjoy rowing the Turbos gears too much to give up that feeling.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
orlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond reputeorlando333 has a reputation beyond repute
ah, should of looked at this before I started my thread

my dealer had 3 of these on the lot; if they had the right color combo, I would have had a new car in my garage.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by orlando333

my dealer had 3 of these on the lot; if they had the right color combo, I would have had a new car in my garage.

Yeah...thank goodness I'm not a huge meteor grey fan, otherwise I would have been particularly rash today!

Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Another difference between the PDK 997.2 TT and a 08 997.1 TT is the much more aggressive engine/exhaust note on the 997.2 PDK car. It was much more engaging than my car.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by orlando333

Excuses, excuses. You know that they allow you to order any color you want, right?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond reputePMac has a reputation beyond repute
I went from a 6-spd manual Porsche to the SMG M5 and a 5-spd manual Panoz race car, and I still enjoy the paddles. Most of my gripes with the M5 are around its somewhat baulky low-speed behavior, which was absent in the PDK transmission (at least the pansy version on the non-Turbos).

I'm perfectly happy heel'n'toeing in a manual, but for street driving, the paddles are nice (and great on the track), and I haven't gotten bored with them in 3+ years of M5 ownership. For a GT3, as much as I'd love to see what PDK would do for that car, I can also see a compelling case for the manual, but if I were going for the slightly more GT-oriented Turbo, I'd get the PDK in a heartbeat.

I get the notion of the manual being more involving, but at the kind of speeds the Turbo can get you to, on the street, I'd probably be quite happy to delegate that task to the computer, and focus my attention on steering, brakes, and throttle.

Quick Reply: I shouldn't have done that...