Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Help! Trying to buy a pre-owned 997S, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:07 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Help! Trying to buy a pre-owned 997S, any advice?

After disappearing from the face of the earth for a few weeks (work) I'm back! I just sold my Black/Black GTR today officially and I'm looking to buy a pre-owned 997C2 or C2S.

I've looked at 05's and 06's. Is there anything in particular I should watch out for in terms of mechanical issue? Should I only buy one with a remaining factory warranty or should I spend the extra money to get a certified pre-owned with extended warranty?

I am looking at one in paticular:

2005 - C2S, 33,000 miles, factory warranty expires in Nov. 08, 6 speed, nav, atlas gray/black interior, power & heated seats, 19" wheels w/ new tires. I was told I can buy a warranty from the Porsche dealership for another $3,500. They are asking $57,999 firm.

Thoughts? Thanks for your help, I'm getting really excited about this!

Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
You got tired of the GT-R already? Was there a particular reason why?
997s is such a great car from what I've understood, and I just gasped at how cheaply you can get a car in the states now. One like the one you found would be about 100k over here.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
By Josh's (LABrit) 2005 997S, it's stunning, CPO'd, and has the right options. Fly out to LA, pick it up, then drive back!

https://teamspeed.com/forums/automob...500-miles.html

Old 07-26-2008, 03:51 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
In terms of the GT-R, I ordered it 6 months ago, but changed my mind and had an opportunity to sell it to a friend. Believe me, it's an incredible car, very fast, and amazing acceleration, but just not what I've had my heart set on. So now I'm on the hunt for a 911. I think this deal I have lined up is good but would love to hear a 2nd opinion.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:52 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by M5Kid
By Josh's (LABrit) 2005 997S, it's stunning, CPO'd, and has the right options. Fly out to LA, pick it up, then drive back!

https://teamspeed.com/forums/automob...500-miles.html
That is a good deal. But I don't want white, plus he said "don't lowball me" haha If it was another color, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Verde is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my 997S Cab 20 months ago, via EBay, for $69K. I did personally inspect it as well as getting a PPI. So the price you cite, given the time, and the coupe, seems reasonable. Of course a lot depends on the options. Mine was relatively light on options and so I chose to add a thing or two to get it closer to my ideal car.
I would recommend that you purchase one with at least a year on the factory warranty. I did have a major issue with mine - the problem was likely was present when the car was sold. An intermittent problem that escaped both the inspector and I, and was very hard to trace down. I suspect that my local dealer offered a higher level of service competency than the one near the original owner. It required calls to Germany and many experiments to track it down. Ultimately, the flywheel had to be replaced. But the service level couldn't have been more satisfying, I couldn't be happier and they now have a customer for life.
I'm not sure I would have gotten that level of support with an after-market warranty and now that the car is 'perfect', I'm fine taking my chances going forward - as the warranty is soon to expire.
Regardless, you should still get a PPI.
At the end of the day, I have never driven a more satisfying car than my 997S. I may someday add a supercharger and suspension kit, but bone stock, it is just the greatest.
And, congratulations for abandoning that robot rocket GT-R. It's a spaceship. Not a sports car.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably going to buy the extended warranty since the factory one expires in November. How does that work? Do you just buy it before the current warranty expires?

Also, looking at the service records there aren't any issues since day 1. Just regular maintenance major services at the required mileage/times.

If there was a past problem (like the flywheel issue) wouldn't that be recorded on the service records? THanks again for your help.

Originally Posted by Verde
I bought my 997S Cab 20 months ago, via EBay, for $69K. I did personally inspect it as well as getting a PPI. So the price you cite, given the time, and the coupe, seems reasonable. Of course a lot depends on the options. Mine was relatively light on options and so I chose to add a thing or two to get it closer to my ideal car.
I would recommend that you purchase one with at least a year on the factory warranty. I did have a major issue with mine - the problem was likely was present when the car was sold. An intermittent problem that escaped both the inspector and I, and was very hard to trace down. I suspect that my local dealer offered a higher level of service competency than the one near the original owner. It required calls to Germany and many experiments to track it down. Ultimately, the flywheel had to be replaced. But the service level couldn't have been more satisfying, I couldn't be happier and they now have a customer for life.
I'm not sure I would have gotten that level of support with an after-market warranty and now that the car is 'perfect', I'm fine taking my chances going forward - as the warranty is soon to expire.
Regardless, you should still get a PPI.
At the end of the day, I have never driven a more satisfying car than my 997S. I may someday add a supercharger and suspension kit, but bone stock, it is just the greatest.
And, congratulations for abandoning that robot rocket GT-R. It's a spaceship. Not a sports car.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
My car is a much better deal, shame you don't like white.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by LABrit
My car is a much better deal, shame you don't like white.
After further review, PM sent. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Responded.

Quick Reply: Help! Trying to buy a pre-owned 997S, any advice?