Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

help! three different diagnosis from three different mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
brptrojan is an unknown quantity at this point
help! three different diagnosis from three different mechanics

Hi i am new so thanks for being a resource!

I have a 2004 C4s. 8 weeks ago i was in idle and i saw a huge cloud of white smoke coming out of my engine. I immediately shut it off and waited two minutes and turned it back on. It ended up hydro locked. I was told my oil/air separator blew.

First mechanic says he is 95% confident he can see cracks in block through scope. Two weeks later says he just thinks they are markings from what he saw in another car he opened up recently. Wanted to charge 1000 to open up and see

2nd mechanic told me he couldnt hold compresson in two cylinders and thought the engine was shot

Third mechanic ended up being the dealership and they diagnosed no cracks for three hours labor and claim they got the engine running after cleaning it out. I am going to spend 4k to have the car back to normal and have the IMS bearing replaced while at it.

My question is, how can the dealership find out if the engine isnt cracked in three hours labor and they tell me this car should be bullet proof ONCE the IMS bearing is replaced.

Also, is my car going to blow up after the 30 day warranty of the ims bearing or does it take time for the bearing to ruin the car?

Im worried about the 30k bill that was quoted me for a new engine from the first guy.

thank

Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Well the dealership has a lot more on the line I would think than an independent shop. I don't think they would want a car with a cracked block leaving the shop without you knowing. From the sound of what happened, your block is probably completely fine. If you hydrocked it and killed it while driving (which you didn't) then maybe you could have done catastrophic damage. I don't know much about the Porsche engine specifically, but you probably would have bent/broken a rod or valve along with the block. No way the block is ruined and the entire rotating assembly is still good. Have the dealer assure you it's not cracked and it's fixed.

Fwiw, I have had cars in the last with a blown head gasket that would hydro lock. Once cleaned and fixed, there was no permanent damage.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
brptrojan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you

Originally Posted by quickZohsix
Well the dealership has a lot more on the line I would think than an independent shop. I don't think they would want a car with a cracked block leaving the shop without you knowing. From the sound of what happened, your block is probably completely fine. If you hydrocked it and killed it while driving (which you didn't) then maybe you could have done catastrophic damage. I don't know much about the Porsche engine specifically, but you probably would have bent/broken a rod or valve along with the block. No way the block is ruined and the entire rotating assembly is still good. Have the dealer assure you it's not cracked and it's fixed.

Fwiw, I have had cars in the last with a blown head gasket that would hydro lock. Once cleaned and fixed, there was no permanent damage.
Thank you.... So from the sound of it, if the block isn't cracked then the other parts are good as well.

Also, you say that the dealership has a reputation..... I guess you are right..... They need to uphold their reputation and have integrity.

If they say it ran with a new oil separator then they are probably right. On.

Thank you