Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

7 Speed Manual 991

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Teamspeed Member
Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
7 Speed Manual 991

Hi All, sorry if this has been asked before. I sold my 997 Black Series recently and still have the Porsche Bug. I am thinking of buying a 991 7 Speed Manual, as my other cars have either an F1 Transmission or DCT. If anyone has a 7 speed 991 can you please tell me a little bit about your experiences and thoughts. Appreciate any comments.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
PDK. sold, done.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Teamspeed Member
Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
PDK. sold, done.
Did you drive the 7 Speed Manual by any chance? I drove the PDK, it is terrific, no question, but I still love the feel of a clutch.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Nicoli is an unknown quantity at this point
Drove a 2009 C4S PDK. Enjoyed it, even those awful push-pull buttons

But every time I moved the lever to reverse, or into park..it felt like I was driving my parent's car. I felt like I had taken the safe route. Not what I wanted with my Porsche. Even though the upshifts were lightning, the downshifts blipped perfectly. Great, but..just not as satisfying. My cars don't have a P for park and an R for reverse and a D for drive. They just don't.

There is just nothing like shifting a true manual, and Porsche made us the finest stick shift manual transmission I've ever used in the 991 - not to mention the world's first 7-speed manual. The positive mechanical operation is joy with each throw and the feedback from both the transmission and the engine is very satisfying. It's just an absolute amazing blast to drive, if you have an attachment to manual transmissions. If you don't.. then perhaps it would be slightly less impressive..but between the two..I have to say...the manual took my breath away. I found my pure Porsche - a rear wheel manual 991. Balanced the new 991 refinement with having the rear/manual combo instead of all-wheel and automated double clutches. It's working really well so far..have an attachment to this car that has been missing in the last two I've driven.

I love the PDK. It's exceptional. When my leg stops working, I'm sure I'll love tearing up everything in sight with a PDK. There's plenty of time to rest my leg later on in life. For now..having the time of my life in this 7-speed manual. Slamming it home through 2nd and 3rd gears watching the tach and knowing I am an integral and necessary part of what is happening is just wonderful and I feel 16 years old again. :-) Soon in Sport plus mode also, there will be automated rev-matching with downshifts, if so desired. Not something I'm counting on using, but cool nonetheless.

Plus.. most everyone who sees the manual knows they are rare now with everyone PDK crazy, and they really appreciate your sense of style. The PDK won't be going anywhere..it's going to be there later. The manual, who knows..this is getting near the end of the era for this type of engagement in driving.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 AM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by Nicoli
Drove a 2009 C4S PDK. Enjoyed it, even those awful push-pull buttons

But every time I moved the lever to reverse, or into park..it felt like I was driving my parent's car. I felt like I had taken the safe route. Not what I wanted with my Porsche. Even though the upshifts were lightning, the downshifts blipped perfectly. Great, but..just not as satisfying. My cars don't have a P for park and an R for reverse and a D for drive. They just don't.

There is just nothing like shifting a true manual, and Porsche made us the finest stick shift manual transmission I've ever used in the 991 - not to mention the world's first 7-speed manual. The positive mechanical operation is joy with each throw and the feedback from both the transmission and the engine is very satisfying. It's just an absolute amazing blast to drive, if you have an attachment to manual transmissions. If you don't.. then perhaps it would be slightly less impressive..but between the two..I have to say...the manual took my breath away. I found my pure Porsche - a rear wheel manual 991. Balanced the new 991 refinement with having the rear/manual combo instead of all-wheel and automated double clutches. It's working really well so far..have an attachment to this car that has been missing in the last two I've driven.

I love the PDK. It's exceptional. When my leg stops working, I'm sure I'll love tearing up everything in sight with a PDK. There's plenty of time to rest my leg later on in life. For now..having the time of my life in this 7-speed manual. Slamming it home through 2nd and 3rd gears watching the tach and knowing I am an integral and necessary part of what is happening is just wonderful and I feel 16 years old again. :-) Soon in Sport plus mode also, there will be automated rev-matching with downshifts, if so desired. Not something I'm counting on using, but cool nonetheless.

Plus.. most everyone who sees the manual knows they are rare now with everyone PDK crazy, and they really appreciate your sense of style. The PDK won't be going anywhere..it's going to be there later. The manual, who knows..this is getting near the end of the era for this type of engagement in driving.
Excellent Post, thank you very much for the terrific write up. Enjoyed it very much and agree very much with your opinions.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enoughSebaflex will become famous soon enough
i tested a PDK car this week and to be honest, the feeling is just not there.

If you want speed and comfort get PDK. But for pure driving enjoyment, nothing beats a manual.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
Going to try a 7 Manual today. Interesting to feel the shift action against my previous 6 speed 997.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
Please update this thread with your impression of the transmission. I have been considering a 911 manual again and am debating between 997/991.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
The PDK is great but after spending time with both I'd chose the 7speed manual.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Teamspeed Member
M5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enough
I just picked up a manual. Had a PDK on my last car.... Love it... It is much more engaging to drive.

Quick Reply: 7 Speed Manual 991