Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Ruf front bumper install...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Question Ruf front bumper install...

Cover is painted and put together in my garage (wiring, hoses, squirters, grilles, etc...) The instruction manual is a bit vague. It show's a "bad" photo of a 997 with a bumper reinforcement that does not resemble mine. The one in their pic seems to have "ears" about three inches wide, that drop down below the lowest horizontal edge of the lower part of the rein. My rebar is just a straight blade. It asks to trim 70 mm off the ears an 30 mm of each end. I don't have the "ears" on my rebar, so I just trimmed the 30 of each side. With the sides trimmed, the cover wont go on all the way, because of the "nutsert" on the bottom of the reinforcement. I can look back inside through the marker lamp holes to see that these nutserts are definately in the way. I can't trim those off though, because that's what the long bolt that drops through the top, threads into for mounting of the rebar. Trim that, and I have no way to bolt the rebar on...

Just scratching my head... have any of you ran into this? Thanks in advance

Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
wayne.corley@rufautocentre.com

I sent him the link to this as well for you.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
thanks DJ, I know I could call him in the morning, but I can be an impatient bastard sometimes...

Old 06-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I did speak with Wayne this morning, told him the problem, he said he would get someone who has installed the cover before... Passed me to Bob, I told him about the situation, he explained to me that it had been a while since he installed a cover. He put me on hold while he went to get an installation manual, to see what I was seeing. I told him it was rubbing on the nutserts, he told me to "trim them up". I repeated to Bob that they were only 1/2 inch in length; he said, "but there's a lot of threads there". I said again, "Bob, there is exactly 1/2 inch to play with on those nutserts". "Trim them up, you have plenty of threads..."

Not sure about this one gang, I'll give it some better thought in the morning.

Please don't get me wrong, not bashing Ruf Auto Center at all, in fact I had the best purchasing experience I've ever had with a company 2000 miles away. Ordered on a Monday, delivered on Thursday. An absolutely perfect product, not a scratch in the urethane at all... the cover was pretty much just a "sand and spray" it was so nice... I'll post what I found tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
aalvarez is an unknown quantity at this point
Neijia, pictures are worth a thousand words. If you could post pictures of where you are having problems, you will have more response. Just a suggestion.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ohhh... I haven't witnessed myself being a complete moron before, but I see it clearly now... I must need medication or something;

Bob did say, "be sure to trim that bottom rib off of the reinforcement 70 mm in". When I was looking at the photo's in the installation manual, I thought it was a different model year they were showing as the reinforcement... I knew it was a 997, but somehow I got it in my head that the photo was for another year, perhaps an '06 or something... I starred at the photo for quite a while trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, then of course it sunk in

I trimmed of the bottom rib, 70 mm in, the cover fits perfect now...

(bowing my head down now for the "dumb a$$" head slap)

sorry for the wasted thread space... I'll post pics when the car's cleaned up

Thanks DJ and Alvarez

Old 06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
aalvarez is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm happy for you that you figured that out. That's cool. We can't wait to see how it all works out. Cheers...

Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Glad it worked out man, now post some pics