Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

So long Carrera GTS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012 | 09:36 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond reputeHussain has a reputation beyond repute
Something tells me that you'll have a 991S very soon Mark.

Old 04-27-2012 | 09:41 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hussain
Something tells me that you'll have a 991S very soon Mark.
not sure about soon but when times right, oh yeah.

Old 04-27-2012 | 10:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i'm surprised the dealer doesn't know the production on the 997 has ended before they take ur deposit.

Old 04-28-2012 | 06:07 AM
JXT
Teamspeed Rookie
JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!JXT You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by Carrera
Does that mean ALL 997 production is officially halted? I'd like to see what the last 997 to roll of the line looks like (or will look like).
Only 997 Turbo and Turbo S coupe remains in production. All other 997 variants have ceased production. August Achleitner told me that it's very hard to build steel-bodied cars (997) on the same line as steel/alloy cars (991). That's why they've wrapped up variants of 997 quicker than they did with the switch from 996 to 997. Last 997 will be a Turbo S. In fact, six-speed manual Turbo production has probably already ended, leaving just PDK Turbo and Turbo S. Oh, and Cayman ceased production the other day.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2012 | 04:31 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Good scoop, JXT. Thanks - repped.

Old 04-28-2012 | 04:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
you ordered a GTS now? when the 991 just came out?

Old 04-28-2012 | 05:42 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
kabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond reputekabbanid has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you all for your replies. For those who are surprised I am ordering a GTS now after the 991 is out or believe that I will be driving a 991 soon, you obviously did not read my previous thread

https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997...ove-991-a.html

Unfortunately too I do not live in the US so I can not order a GTS from a dealer's stock, unless it is registered (pre-owned) in which case I will be allowed to export it.

I have in fact spotted a few, but unfortunately no car comes with all the specs that I want, which means that there needs to be a bit of a compromise here.

But the most important thing is that I currently live in the Arabian Gulf region and this means that the car needs to have Gulf specs whereas in the US it has US specs. Now apart from the bumperettes and the orange side indicators, I am not sure how the cars are different. I asked this question once to Porsche in Zufenhausen and they refused to tell me. They claimed that this for the protection of local agents. Rumors were that the radiator was bigger and the AC was more powerful and that there was an extra paint coat to handle the heat. But if you drive in Arizona on US specs, you should be able to drive in the Arabian Gulf with those specs as well.

Any idea if there is actually any difference in country/region specs?

Last edited by kabbanid; 04-28-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2012 | 05:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Aha....I guess if I would have taken the time to look at your location it might have explained why you didn't check inventory...makes more sense now. No idea what differences are between US and Arabian builds though.

Good luck with your search!

Old 04-28-2012 | 06:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JXT
Only 997 Turbo and Turbo S coupe remains in production. All other 997 variants have ceased production. August Achleitner told me that it's very hard to build steel-bodied cars (997) on the same line as steel/alloy cars (991). That's why they've wrapped up variants of 997 quicker than they did with the switch from 996 to 997. Last 997 will be a Turbo S. In fact, six-speed manual Turbo production has probably already ended, leaving just PDK Turbo and Turbo S. Oh, and Cayman ceased production the other day.

Hope this helps.
Great info here thanks! R.I.P to the 987 it was such a great car. But, 981 coupe should be pretty interesting.

Old 04-28-2012 | 10:20 PM
MrTheBadGuy
Control It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond reputeControl It has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kabbanid
Thank you all for your replies. For those who are surprised I am ordering a GTS now after the 991 is out or believe that I will be driving a 991 soon, you obviously did not read my previous thread

https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997...ove-991-a.html

Unfortunately too I do not live in the US so I can not order a GTS from a dealer's stock, unless it is registered (pre-owned) in which case I will be allowed to export it.

I have in fact spotted a few, but unfortunately no car comes with all the specs that I want, which means that there needs to be a bit of a compromise here.

But the most important thing is that I currently live in the Arabian Gulf region and this means that the car needs to have Gulf specs whereas in the US it has US specs. Now apart from the bumperettes and the orange side indicators, I am not sure how the cars are different. I asked this question once to Porsche in Zufenhausen and they refused to tell me. They claimed that this for the protection of local agents. Rumors were that the radiator was bigger and the AC was more powerful and that there was an extra paint coat to handle the heat. But if you drive in Arizona on US specs, you should be able to drive in the Arabian Gulf with those specs as well.

Any idea if there is actually any difference in country/region specs?
Ah that was your thread reviewing the 991! I did read that, in fact I referenced how one particular review had prepared me for not expecting much from the 991 and it was your thread!

I don't completely disagree with you and I really didn't have enough time driving the 997s or the 991 in my review. Also the 997s had been sitting and had horrible flat spots on the tires that certainly didn't help.

But I did prefer the 991 in every way and I think there is a tendency to romanticize past generations of model years and at the same time there is something 'lost' each generation as well.

Quick Reply: So long Carrera GTS!