Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

New Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) laps the Nurburgring in 7 min. 40 sec

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumping_horse
Thanks for the info on the tires..I dindt know this..just a few other comments from my side:

1) the 9A1 engine ist certainly not made for going racing at 100% for a longer time..in fact the 9A1 engine starts to have some issues with injectors which ends up as complete engine melt down..game over..lets hope it does not become a new RMS..there are numerous cases already
And how would you know this? Were you one of the engineers developing the 991 in the most harsh conditions in the world, and doing intensive 24 hour motorsport simulated tests? I bet you weren't. So please people, stop complaining about the reliability of the 9A1 engine. Fact is you didn't develop it, and you never ran one in motorsports, so you don't know what its capable of. Porsche isn't stupid, and I'm sure they made a bunch of reliability improvements to the 9A1 engine, but didn't mention them, because it would slow sales of the remaining 997s.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:56 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
Mr. Porsche, I mean carrara. Get off the porsche sippy cup with the Porsche koolade

No matter what's in the car, without a doubt I'm sure the motors and performance will be just fine for people. Porsche got where they are by knowing what they are doing.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, it just annoys mean when people claim the 9A1 will blow up if its on a racetrack.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Carrera
Sorry, it just annoys mean when people claim the 9A1 will blow up if its on a racetrack.
Hi carrera,

OK..just need to clarify a bit. .its not necessarily the track - although it is clear that it will not like slicks- this is even forbidden- you (should) know that too.

I didnt design the 9A1 engine - but thats not the question - why are you so personnally touched with it? Every car has its little gremlins...

Fact ist however that more and more 9A1 are getting new injectors..some have blown up. I know of three cases here in Germany. Of course real engine meltdowns were limited measured in % ..

But denying that there are 0 problems is´"LYING"...even Porsche called back many 9A1 engines for replacing injectors..ask any 911 2008 - owner..or ask Porsche US directly they will give the number of this service/warranty issue..

PS:the 991 has new injectors..

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Turboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond reputeTurboholic has a reputation beyond repute
^ my porsche driver mentioned the new injectors first when I asked whats new on the engine in the 991

Jumping horse

Old 09-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Show me where slicks are forbidden. I've missed this bulletin. It was at one time due to not enough oil scavengers but I'd love to see that for the new ones.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Wink

Originally Posted by 81911
Show me where slicks are forbidden. I've missed this bulletin. It was at one time due to not enough oil scavengers but I'd love to see that for the new ones.
Just read your manual..

Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche isn't stupid, and I'm sure they made a bunch of reliability improvements to the 9A1 engine, but didn't mention them, because it would slow sales of the remaining 997s.

i know nothing about 9A1 but to claim Porsche's are bullet-proof & engineering miracles - ha. ask Sharky about the current generation of GT3 cooling hoses!

that said, even if Walter Rohl was driving it with slicks, those are very impressive numbers - wow. i saw these cars last week in Stuttgart - they are much better looking in person than in the pictures. and with these types of performance numbers - it's becoming a bit convincing!

- chuck

Last edited by carendt242; 09-28-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^^ Not saying they're bullet proof, just saying they don't explode if you put them on a racetrack. And see, even the Mezger has it's problems. I bet Porsche had some GT3 prototype 9A1 engines long before they made the decision to axe the Mezger. They're not stupid, and are well aware of what they're doing.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
^^ Not saying they're bullet proof, just saying they don't explode if you put them on a racetrack. And see, even the Mezger has it's problems. I bet Porsche had some GT3 prototype 9A1 engines long before they made the decision to axe the Mezger. They're not stupid, and are well aware of what they're doing.
Hi Carrera,

that sums it it pretty well..

Sure - Porsche is not stupid - but now in 2014 as I said before they will be a huge risk accoring to me - they will show up at the beginning of the season with an engine that has 0 motorsport history/background/experience.

If you look at Motorsport history than often such cases were doomed to fail..OK..I know Porsche is Porsche..but I bet they will be running in Problems in the first races..+ what happens to the new 991 GT3 customers in 2013...are they going to be "live" test mules? Ok..maybe Im a bit too harsh..but all this is like walking on thin ice..of course after one season I suspect all major problems would be cleared..but again the first season will be very difficult I predict..

Even the mezger engine was was born once ..but it took some while before it became bullet proof..

By the way - strangely - the issue of the water hoses is not an issue here in Europe..I havent heard of any case..and I know numerous GT3 owners..plus talked to many tuners here...Manthey etc.

Quick Reply: New Porsche 911 Carrera S (991) laps the Nurburgring in 7 min. 40 sec