Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Spy Photos: 2012 Porsche 911 Caught Testing in Los Angeles + Funny Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Spy Photos: 2012 Porsche 911 Caught Testing in Los Angeles + Funny Story

Photos from Edmunds Inside Line

2012 Porsche 911 Caught Testing in Los Angeles + Funny Story by Inside Line

An unexpected surprise from Porsche
There are two things we should note immediately about these spy shots of the 2012 Porsche 911. The first is that, despite this car literally falling into my lap (it was testing directly in front of my house), I am the worst spy photographer in the world. The second thing is that prototype engineers -- despite using public roads and parking in very public Burger Kings -- DO NOT like when you try to take pictures of their project. (And no, I didn't blur his face-- public place = no reasonable right to privacy. Plus, journalist.-- it was dark and he was dancing around the camera.)

The next thing you should know is that this 911 prototype, which may not have production exhaust / emissions equipment, sounded like no Porsche I've ever heard. It was deeper, less frantic and had a bit of a burble instead of the Porsche rasp (EDIT: if I just heard it without seeing a Porsche, I would have guessed small displacement V8. For whatever that's worth.).....it also had a pronounced flutter off-throttle. No whine or blow-off noises, but when traffic slowed from our max of 27 to a stop, there it was. Not a surprise that a new 911 would breed a new 911 Turbo and this certainly has the stance for it.

I heard it before I saw it. Like most of us, I can usually identify things by sound, not this. I heard it behind me and had to look. I saw the camo, saw the frog-like shape and slotted behind it. The Porsche saw what I was up to and bolted down a side street -- FAST -- it sounded great and was way faster than I could go. At that point I gave up and turned back home. Luckily, LA traffic saved me and the Porsche was stuck a block ahead and turning right. Another half block and the 911 prototype turned into the BK parking lot where the engineers (you can tell by the dorky sneakers) were ready.

The second they saw the camera it was all over-- they weren't going to get out of the way. I'll save you from the pictures where they're taking pictures of me and I'll save you from the story where the call me a stalker and the lawyer I had riding shotgun laughs out loud.
Source and larger images can be found at INSIDE LINE

Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Those guys don't resemble what I would imagine a Porsche engineer looking like. And the expectation of 'privacy' when driving a car on a public road and then parking in a VERY public location is fairly amusing. If you want privacy, go test it in Nebraska or West Texas, not Los Freakin Angeles...

Now the comments about the engine sound and quickness of the car are quite interesting. Turbo? Small displacement 8? Let the rumor-mill heat up some more.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
hg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant futurehg_wng has a brilliant future
who's that woman in the car in the first pic?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
M5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enoughM5_2010 will become famous soon enough
Nice job...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:11 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Spotted in LA

Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
I'm waiting for these puppies to be testing up here on Kanan.....come to daddy.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm more women tesst drivers than I imagined. Maybe Porsche wants to see how safely the cars handle when the driver is doing her makeup in the mirror or gabbing on the phone about the latest Desperate Housewives episode while completely ignoring everything else on the road.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Panayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nicePanayiotis is just really nice
Originally Posted by dallascajun
Those guys don't resemble what I would imagine a Porsche engineer looking like.
I agree with this, to the point that for a split second there I thought maybe someone was driving around LA in a 997 with panels bolted on to grab attention! Obviously I'm wrong, but I find it sad that I wouldnt doub't that such people would exist.

an 8 though? NEVER!!!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
a friend of mine is a woman US test driver for audi... she has told me some great stories about the stuff she drives...

Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
That is such a great story... I love it!!

Quick Reply: Spy Photos: 2012 Porsche 911 Caught Testing in Los Angeles + Funny Story