Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Swapping Console Lid

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Swapping Console Lid

I'm thinking about swapping my factory console lid with an Alcantara version. Has anyone done this and have any feedback on this job? Wondering if it's straight-forward or a complete PITA.

Console Lid in Alcantara:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Thanks in advance

Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
From looking at mine, I'd suspect it's pretty straightforward. Just a plastic hinge with a couple retainers. Be careful removing the old one! FWIW, my old lid in my RS4 busted WAAAAY too easily - they covered it under warranty. If it looks like a PITA, get friendly with your service dept and have them do a swap next time you're in.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
dallas: I had a local shop do it recently on my '07 C2S and it was a quick job. Can't tell you exact price because we changed (upgraded) a number of leather trim pieces at the same time but I was told the console lid took little time. However, I strongly encourage you to consider instead the Alcantara lid with logo also available from Suncoast:

Console Lid in Alcantara, with Logo:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Besides the embossed Logo, the stitching is well done and highly visible, matching other stitching in your car. It is not that much more and looks three times better, trust me! Saludos, z356 (Carmel)

Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
This should be an easy job, console lids aren't very intricate.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!dallascajun You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by z356
dallas: I had a local shop do it recently on my '07 C2S and it was a quick job. Can't tell you exact price because we changed (upgraded) a number of leather trim pieces at the same time but I was told the console lid took little time. However, I strongly encourage you to consider instead the Alcantara lid with logo also available from Suncoast:

Console Lid in Alcantara, with Logo:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

Besides the embossed Logo, the stitching is well done and highly visible, matching other stitching in your car. It is not that much more and looks three times better, trust me! Saludos, z356 (Carmel)
Yeah, I'm on the fence between the 2 versions. I didn't want to spend that much for the Console Lid in the first place, much less another $160 and longer lead time for one with stitching and the logo. At least I have confidence that I can do it without risk of screwing anything up.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
I've done this it is extremely easy. All you need is a hex head screw driver and about ten minutes.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Teamspeed Member
Bill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura aboutBill in Atlanta has a spectacular aura about
Super Easy !
Hex driver..can be done in less than 2 minutes

BTW...I have a NEW factory alcantara lid from Suncoast for sale if anyone wants it....$289+shipping new from Suncoast, I will sell for $225 including shipping in US. PM me if interested.

Bill

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Bill in Atlanta
Super Easy !
Hex driver..can be done in less than 2 minutes

BTW...I have a NEW factory alcantara lid from Suncoast for sale if anyone wants it....$289+shipping new from Suncoast, I will sell for $225 including shipping in US. PM me if interested.

Bill
Ugh..about 3 hours too late. I ordered the Alcantara w/ Porsche Logo version earlier today. Supposedly one in inventory, so I hope to have it this week.

Now if I could only make up my mind about the Center Bypass Exhaust...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Yacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to allYacht Lights is a name known to all
^ Which exhaust r u thinking about doing on the car?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Yacht Lights
^ Which exhaust r u thinking about doing on the car?
Leaning towards Sharkwerks but also considering AWE. At this point I'm not sold that the exhaust sound is that much improved to warrant the change. Given that I'm leasing my GTS (but planning to purchase once the lease expires), spending a lot on any mods is questionable at best.

Quick Reply: Swapping Console Lid