Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

997 S side-skirts and rear spats....made by me

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Justatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to behold
997 S side-skirts and rear spats....made by me

These are some older pics of the side-skirts and rear spats I made....

In this pic is the masking tape to protect the car and the first layer of fiberglass to create the 'skin'

This is where I took a special type of drywall compound...YES...drywall compound to create something to shape/carve the side-skirt out of.....

Then I mixed a mixture of fiberglass and resin to paint over the whole piece,sanded it and primed it to get it ready to make the molds.....

Same thing for the rear spats....

Final piece.....

Hope you enjoyed the pics..?!

Stacy

Last edited by Justatoy; 06-08-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Very cool man! Great work!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Justatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to beholdJustatoy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DJ
Very cool man! Great work!
Thanks......I took the car to the Porsche dealer once to show a guy in service that I know.....he and the mechanics could not figure out HOW I did it....

This was one of the most stressful projects I have done(right behind the old supercharger install that I did on my car)...
I was worried about scratching the paint and/or NOT being able to pull the fiberglass off the car.AND yes it came close with NOT being able to pull the rear spats off at one point!
Every cruise or event we go to...I always get people asking to buy a set.
I just say no they are not for sale....not unless the right shop wanted to buy the molds and start production themselves!

Stacy

Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
C Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond reputeC Money has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't get past your Avatar! REP!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by C Money
I couldn't get past your Avatar! REP!
Sorry...need me to change it,LOL !?
Hope you can get past it though....I kinda like that avatar.

Last edited by Justatoy; 06-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
i thought that this was going to be a joke of some sort. great job man.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
i thought that this was going to be a joke of some sort. great job man.

NO joke...no laughter...just a ton of stressful moments with alot of sweat!

LOL....thank-you!

Stacy

Old 06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond reputeTeutonicCarFan has a reputation beyond repute
That looks amazing. I guess I am an idiot, but how are those attached to the car? I first thought that you fiberglassed right on the car, I guess you could say integrating them in (like doing each side at a time). But if you made a mold, that makes me think you needed to attach them somehow? Good Job.
Also - where do the double doors in your garage go to? me likey

Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
So sick, great job man.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan
That looks amazing. I guess I am an idiot, but how are those attached to the car? I first thought that you fiberglassed right on the car, I guess you could say integrating them in (like doing each side at a time). But if you made a mold, that makes me think you needed to attach them somehow? Good Job.
Also - where do the double doors in your garage go to? me likey
I built one skirt(one side) then made the other one to follow with measurements and templates...... paintstakingly amount of work!
They are attached with double sided tape and a screw in each wheel well!

Those doors lead to a part of the house that we use for garage storage.In my garage is 6 pairs of shoes,art-work and my car.....that is IT!
I like things CLEAN and uncluttered!

Originally Posted by TTM0TION
So sick, great job man.
Thank-you so much!

I also built side-skirts for the NSX in my past......they are called stacy's side-skirts(which are now being sold by a company that bought them out from me)...do a search!

Stacy

Last edited by Justatoy; 06-08-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 997 S side-skirts and rear spats....made by me