Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

LED DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009 | 10:38 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
LED DRLs

Hey this is my first post but i post on 6speed alot. I wanted to share a new mod I just did : )

Finally installed some LED drls
(they are not so blue in person, my camera just sucks)

Attached Images   
Old 07-23-2009 | 11:49 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
nice job, DIY ? How long did it take you to install ?

Old 07-24-2009 | 03:39 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
porschefreak04 is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks really good. Nice work!

Old 07-24-2009 | 09:06 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
suncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond repute
Looks cool

Old 07-24-2009 | 10:12 AM
|
Teamspeed Member
Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Cayennes2083 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Thanks for the comments guys. I know speedart just came out with led drls and they seem to be very similair to mine and are 1500 dollars! I did this for about 40 bucks. Anyways here's a quick DIY I wrote up.

Supplies
- Dinner Knife
- Scissors
- Wire splicing tool
- Sealant (silicone)
- 2 led strips Flexible LED Strips
- Double sided tape

1. Remove the fog housing, use the plastic card that came with the car to pop it out. Instructions are in your manual.

2. Now is when it gets scary. You'll notice that the edges of the lens go behind the black housing. The is about a quarter inch of black housing going over the lens that goes all the way around. Your going to need to stick a basic dinner knife in between the "sleeve" and lens and start prying at it until the sleeve breaks off. Do this all the way around the housing.

3. Now it will just be the edge of the lens making contact with the housing. Stick the knife in between them and begin to cut through the silicone while slightly prying at it to begin to pull it off. Just play with it, it took me about 10 minutes to get it off.

4. Once you have the housing open remove the w5w bulb from its holder.

5. Cut the wire for the led strip to the proper length (you will tuck it in around the edges so make sure it is long enough but not too long) and "plug" the ends into the w5w holder.

6. Now cut the actual led strip to the correct length you want. It can be cut in groups of 3 leds. Just cut it with scissors and apply double sided tape to the back of it.

7. Tape the strip on to the bottom black part right in front of the chrome and tuck the wire in between the black and chrome so it can't be seen.

8. Make sure you clean everything

9. Apply new silicone all the way around the black housing and place the lens back on. Push it tight. What I did was I put a bucket with some weight on it over night so it would dry nice and tight.

10. Plug it back in and admire your work

* The leds will set of a dash light. In order to get rid of the light you must buy the resistor kit they sell at superbrightleds.com You must wire a resistor per side. It really simple you just use the taps included and tap into the drl wire.

** I am scared that the fogs will burn the led strip so I unpluged them. No dash light has turned on so I'm guessing the car may not check for that. Fingers crossed. I will probably replace the fogs with an led so I don't just have an unpluged wire.

Old 07-24-2009 | 11:15 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great!

Old 07-26-2009 | 01:41 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
EVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond reputeEVS Motors Inc. has a reputation beyond repute
Lets see some closeup of the lights without them on. Like to see how pro it looks.

Old 07-26-2009 | 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
wow great work! They look amazing!!

Old 07-26-2009 | 08:22 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great.... until the LED's start failing....

Old 07-28-2009 | 11:46 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Kudos for the self install !

Quick Reply: LED DRLs