Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Blakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond reputeBlakt Out has a reputation beyond repute
Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.

Hey everyone.

To those of you who have been on here a long time, I've not been on here very much lately. I miss you guys! I've stayed away because it's rough on me... given the situation below.

As all you buddies of mine know, I was at VIR last November and blew the engine. I replaced it with a brand new one, and that took a while. Then, I had reconstructive shoulder surgery in January (right/shifting shoulder). That didn't go perfectly, so I've gone back again. I drove my 911 for the second time (not counting 5 mile jaunts) yesterday. My shoulder's hurting a good bit still as I sit here typing. Literally, the car has less than 100 miles on the new engine. I'm not sure I'll ever recover to the point that I can fully enjoy that car anymore. Really a bummer. REALLY. So, I'm just sitting here reading all of your threads, and thinking that I might should just sell the car.
I haven't looked at how things are going right now in the marketplace, but I know I'll take a bath. I have receipts in the 6 figure range, PLUS the sticker.

Again, shoulder surgery was January 6. I'm still on pain meds. What do you guys think?

If you don't know me, or have forgotten me, my car is the black car in the middle here.

It won the shootout, and got some pretty heavy praise. I love that car. When I knew I was going to drive it finally, I got out of bed before 5am and just DROVE. Had a meeting at 9am. Didn't even stop for breakfast. Just took the longest, curviest way I could find.

Anyway, can some of you either give me guidance or help me get my head out of my ass? I actually told my wife earlier that I might have to sell the 997 and the A6 and get a Panamera Turbo.

Jared

Old 06-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Jared:

I don't know you. But, I will say this: you're alive, you're married, you're fortunate enough to have (some degree) of financial success and latitude - be grateful. I would assume you invested a considerable amount of energy and emotion (not to mention finances) into your car. I can only imagine how frustrating it is not to be able to enjoy this. But, perhaps it will help to zoom out, and think about the larger, more meaningful factors in life. And, perhaps you'll realize from that how insignificant a car is; and how the meaningful elements of life can be cast away by such an insignificant burden.

I hope you can retain even a small amount of meaningful perspective from this. From one guy feeling a little down to another. Keep your head up.

Cheers,

Travis

Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
+1 to what Travis said.

It's a beautiful car and I imagine it'd be tough for you to let go, but in the end, it's just a car. Besides, MiniD will need something to drive when he gets his license!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
No.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Don't sell it. And find another orthopaedic surgeon... I would highly recommend the Kerlan-Jobe Center in LA and Dr. Gambardella in particular. I had 3 shoulder surgeries in the Marines and it didn't get "fixed" until I saw Dr. G. I say "fixed" in quotes because so much damage had already been done, but I am mostly pain-free, have good range of motion, and have most of my strength back. Your car can wait while you fix yourself.

Best of luck - if you have more questions feel free to PM me your phone # and I'll call you.

Chris

Old 06-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Don't sell it. And find another orthopaedic surgeon... I would highly recommend the Kerlan-Jobe Center in LA and Dr. Gambardella in particular. I had 3 shoulder surgeries in the Marines and it didn't get "fixed" until I saw Dr. G. I say "fixed" in quotes because so much damage had already been done, but I am mostly pain-free, have good range of motion, and have most of my strength back. Your car can wait while you fix yourself.

Best of luck - if you have more questions feel free to PM me your phone # and I'll call you.

Chris

+1 on what Chris said. If you let this injury start taking away the things you love in life it is going to bother you even more than it does now. Don't give up man just keep tuning the body and put the GT3 tuning aside for a bit...

Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
J -
Mark (control it) and I both have pretty bad backs. Myself I have a herniated L5-S1 that just wont seem to heal correctly. My point is mark was telling me about a new med he was on that was working well with little side effects so def shoot him a PM.
Obviously this has been delaying my purchase of a GT3 or such fun toy at this time.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Jared, if all rehab options have been exhausted with no hope of you ever banging gears again, sell it then grab an MKII (GT3?) w/pdk if your desire to get back on the track is such. If tracking again is not an option for you, sell it, chalk it up and enjoy your time with family.

I wish you all the best. This is just a bump in the road of life pal.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
mark was telling me about a new med he was on that was working well with little side effects so def shoot him a PM.
I'm not sure that psychotropic drugs are the answer for everyone.

Just a bit of comedy relief folks!

Quick Reply: Long time, no talk to my friends. But I'm pretty bummed.