Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Thoughts on a C2S as a DD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts on a C2S as a DD?

Hey guys, thought I'd ask for some opinions on here..

I'm into cars, but I admit I don't have the greatest knowledge with them. I loved cars growing up as a child, but then kind of fell out of the loop for the last 8 or so years. I find myself getting heavier into cars everyday as of late.

Right now I'm driving an 06 Audi Quattro 2.0T. It's been a great car for me, but its just nothing exciting. I've been thinking about picking up a new car, and several people on here know I've been on the hunt for a 996TT or a 997TT, at the right price.

I found an insanely priced 997TT last weekend and was sure I was going to purchase it. I was driving to the dealership early first thing Saturday morning to check it out, and at the price they were giving it to me - I was certain I would leave with it. On my way to the dealership I received a call stating that they made a mistake and gave me their cost price, rather than the retail price. Huge bummer!!

Luckily I received the call while I was only 20 minutes away from my home. Instead I stopped at a local Porsche dealership to see what they had on their lot. After speaking with several people there, they told me that I'm better off getting a C2S if I'm going to drive the hell out of it, and park it in Hoboken, NJ.

I was hoping to get some reviews and thoughts. By the sounds of what the dealership was telling me, they told me I could actually use the C2S easily as my DD, and ditch the Audi completely. Thoughts?

Additionally, I noticed that there is a difference between an 05-07 C2S's, and the 08+ C2S's, mainly 30hp. Would I be foolish to not go for the extra 30hp?

PDK vs 6speed? I have never owned a car that was a 6speed, although I can drive one. How is the clutch compared to an S4's? Easier? I had no problem with an S4, and I'm sure I won't have a problem with a Porsche's, but just for the heck of it - what would I be looking at in $ to replace the clutch? I have an apartment in Hoboken that I could live in/may live in, but it has a second story garage which involves me pulling it in an extra small elevator, and then doing an Austin Powers type of move to get into my parking space. I'm hoping to pick up a new apartment soon, one with a garage that would have easier access getting in/out. My father is worried that doing these maneuvers with a stick will drive me insane, and he's afraid I wont enjoy driving the car if I have to go through all of this.

Snow? If I do ditch my Audi, and get a C2S, I will need to rely on it in all weather conditions. I worry that handling in the snow and wet conditions maybe dangerous, yet the Porsche dealership actually told me that its a better driver than a turbo in these conditions. Not exactly sure how that could be true...

Comparison verses other cars in its league? Other than the eminence of the car, why would a C2S be a better choice than a e92 m3 or a chipped 335xi? Is it faster? Is it more fun to drive? Is it a better ride?

How well do these cars last? If I do get one as a DD I will be putting 75-100 miles on it a day. Am I going to be killing this thing?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Sorry for asking such newbie questions here, but I feel more comfortable asking you guys than someone at the dealership.

Jonathan

Last edited by GLN; 04-21-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
I'd go for a RS4 if you need to drive in snow.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Go for a C4S look for a slightly used model with a tip and I think you'll be set and you can drive a million miles on a Porsche if you maintain it correctly I honestly think of all the cars you listed the P-car is the most reliable if not extremely practical remember it's a 2 seater the back seats are useless and not much of a trunk either

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
I'd move from Hoboken.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I've owned a C2S, then RS4, now C4S - it snows here, too. Get the C4S and skip losing money three times. All are great cars, but the C4S is like a combo of the first two. Even smarter would be to keep the A4 and get a used C2S. Then you've got all the bases covered.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dave S
I'd move from Hoboken.
Perhaps the overlooked solution to all his problems!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
In all seriousness, 100 miles a day on any car would be sort of tough imo.

If it were me, I would keep the Audi and get a used C2S or do something like Mk5 Golf GTI for the daily grind and then a C2S for the weekend, if funds and preferences permit.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
In all seriousness, 100 miles a day on any car would be sort of tough imo.

If it were me, I would keep the Audi and get a used C2S or do something like Mk5 Golf GTI for the daily grind and then a C2S for the weekend, if funds and preferences permit.
I said the first part, too, but I TOTALLY agree with the 2nd part (in red). I should have kept my MkV GTI when I bought my C2S.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
My 2 cents...

I had a 997 C2S as a DD for 3 years before getting a 997 TT which is now my DD. I live in Chicago, so I had quite a bit of experience driving on snow and ice with the C2S and the TT. The TT with AWD is definitely better than the C2S (with proper snow tires on both, obviously) in the snow, but the C2S was quite passable given all the weight in the rear.

In terms of fun, both were a complete blast to drive. I had a 6speed in both and, although it was occasionally a PITA with Chicagoland traffic, the joy of ripping through gears manually and coordinating it with my left foot is too much to give up for paddles.

Both my former C2S was and current TT is driven heavily and, thus far, have been pretty much bulletproof (knock on wood).

One disclaimer: I do own a 1999 Jeep GC for REALLY bad snowy days where the height of the snow would prevent driving the P-car.

I say go for it!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
GLN
Thor Liked My Watch
GLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond reputeGLN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
Perhaps the overlooked solution to all his problems!
Hoboken is so much fun!! It's 20something heaven. I looked at some great apartments with beautiful garages that I can easily enter/leave.

I could get a place on the beach, however its so seasonal and boring. I'm only 23 and enjoy the nightlife of Manhattan and Hoboken. If I live on the shore, I'd have action all Summer, but a miserable Winter/Fall. I looked at an amazing penthouse on the shore and posted about it on 6S, but decided that it probably wasn't for me because of the scenario.

That being said... if I were to get a place on the shore, I would most likely keep the Audi and purchase a used C2S car. However I think I'd rather have the nightlife over an additional car.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a C2S as a DD?