Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Dyno results posted for my 997 - Afterhours sport pipes vs Stock mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
p0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Dyno results posted for my 997 - Afterhours sport pipes vs Stock mufflers

Hello fellow Teamspeeders- As some of you may know, I recently put on a set of AfterHours Sport Pipes (Porsche Sport 996 997 Straight Pipe Mufflers - Automotive Custom Performance Tuning and Fabrication) - They are just finishing up the production 997/997S pipes and I volunteered my pcar for fitment, driveability and dyno testing. They make these pipes by hand, in-house.
Needless to say, I am as stoked with them on my 997 as I was with them on my 996. The sound on 997 is even better due to some minor design modifications.

Here are my dyno results, stock mufflers on 997 vs AH pipes on 997.
Very pleased with results, definitely confirmed what the "butt dyno" was telling me- Car feels much torquier and perky across the band.
Saw similar gain with these pipes on my 996 and am glad to see the positive performance effect carries over to 997.

Dyno testing was done at Church Automotive in San Pedro area, very professional outfit and they do things "by the book", all they do is dyno testing and performance tuning.

Temp in shop was 80.4 degrees, low humidity, all runs done within an hour with car allowed to cool off a bit between the stock pulls and AH pulls.
We did two pulls in each set (two with stock and two with AH pipes). Numbers were same on both pulls with stock and same on both pulls with AH.
The only performance mods on my car are KN intake and RSS plenum. I have stock cats and stock headers.

997 dyno, stock vs. AH pipes:

Here was my 996 run from awhile back, for comparison's sake (stock vs AH pipes):

I want to go back and do a couple of dyno pulls without the RSS plenum, with stock mufflers and with AH pipes to see if there is a diff. If my 997 is pulling 273TQ and 313HP at the wheels with the stock mufflers, I'd like to know if removing the RSS will have impact.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 10-12-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
p0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura aboutp0rsch3 has a spectacular aura about
HQ video: (Revving / Drive-off)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQWueROnQh8&fmt=18
Vid is high-quality, if it stalls / buffers just rewind a bit then let play.

Here is a video closeup of the mufflers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbU_1kSgbFk&fmt=18

Drive by, accel, decel etc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsUnHvRMtFk&fmt=18

I have aftermarket S-style tips on mine. The stock 997 (non S) oval tips probably won't fit since the outlet pipe of the AH mufflers is larger to fit the S tips.
So, if you have a non-S 997 you'd need to get some S factory / aftermarket tips or take your oval tips to a muffler shop to have them widened.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 10-14-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
wow no comments? I thought the outcome was all-in-all pretty impressive, oh well different tastes I guess

Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Three videos posted- How about some feedback guys?
Does it sound good... yes / no? Are the dyno numbers good for a 997 non-S.. yes / no?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Both my rides are now featured on AH website's muffler page- nice!
Porsche 996 997 Carrera Straight Pipe Sport Mufflers - Automotive Custom Performance Tuning and Fabrication

And yes, I did get a substantial discount and free dyno time for pimping out my cars to them plus making the vids. (I love the barter system)

Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice Kurt. I have to admit the car looks sick on 20's and sounds great.

I liked the AH pipes on your 996 as well. I have to imagine in a cab that you can really hear that thing scream with the top down. I've believed you all along on the performance numbers so the dyno was where I expected it to be.

As for lack of replies, I think this is a very label-whore crowd, so everyone must be thinking AH who? I'm sold, but my wife laid down the law yesterday on my constant modding of my car.

I got the EVOMS intake from Justin @ Rennsport one (thanks again man, FAST shipping!) and she just about had it when the FedEX guy came to the door. Oh well, I'm going to start shipping stuff to my office and install while she's out of the house. haha

Old 10-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Cool- thanks for the response. Let me know how the EVOMS works for you, I had thought about getting it but the KN from my 996 fit fine and seems to work well.

You know, oddly the exhaust is not a lot louder in the cab vs in my coupe. I expected it to be much louder inside but it's not.

I was really hoping to get some objective feedback from other experienced members on sound and performance numbers. Love to know what the average HP/TQ numbers on other 997 non-S with exhaust mods, and how mine compares.

I'm all for buying the labels if bang = buck, but in this case my opinion is why spend a few grand changing headers, cats, mufflers when it seems the AH pipes do the same thing at 1/3 the price, is an easy DIY, doesn't mess with smog requirements, plus shaves off some weight? I always make it a habit of sharing good new finds!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
domesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond reputedomesticdemon has a reputation beyond repute
I think it has a very nice sound to it. Sporty but not annoyingly loud, has a nice growl to it. Never heard of AH but , n damn those 20's look huge (in a good way of course) on your car (no wonder the dealer wrote you up)

Old 10-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Lol- thx. The 20's do look huge in the vids.

From what I know, AH has been around for about 20+ years. One of those outfits that does not advertise but has had their hands in the various racing / performance circuits. You'll see a lot of well sponsored team cars and salt-flat speed cars at their shop having custom work done (cages, composite body parts, exhausts, etc), and you definitely won't see a sign out in front of the shop.
I first found out about them through a friend, was looking for someone to do the GT3 RS top vent cutouts on my 996 along with mesh. AH did a truly fabulous job and it only cost me about 1/2 of what a well known "label" shop quoted me. They also made me a carbon fiber 996 armrest cover for a couple hundred bucks, came out as nice as OEM!

so anyway that's the scoop- If anyone needs custom body parts, powdercoating, exhausts, cages etc it's a very good place to consider.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 10-14-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Q8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeQ8_TwinTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
p0rsch3,

AH has done a great fabrication job on the sport pipes. A very good performance jump and well done on the videos. Good to have a complete review of a product. ie, video and dyno plots. The sound is great and the car looks good. The only downside, is that you will want to spend more time in your car now.

Enjoy driving it safely!

Quick Reply: Dyno results posted for my 997 - Afterhours sport pipes vs Stock mufflers