Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

Need immediate pricing advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 11:27 AM
|
Teamspeed Junior Member
mass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond repute
Need immediate pricing advice

Here is my situation. I ordered a car and got very little off MSRP - courtesy discount (whatever the F that means.) As everyone knows, the economy and financial market is in serious turmoil. My financial position has definitely changed in the past 2 weeks alone. I want to get you guys' opinion on if and how I can relay this back to the dealer to negotiate a further (real) discount. I am not trying to use this economic situation to my advantage, rather I really need to save some money on this purchase. Incidentally, I never signed a sales contract or gave a deposit.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2008 | 01:08 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm.. start by naming off their direct competitors, let them know you've been talking to them and tell them you are looking for the best possible deal and to have them do their homework and come to you with the absolute lowest price.

End of the month is the best time to do this. Also, if they won't lower price, get some freebies - window tint, spoiler, wheels, free maintenance. I don't think there's ever been a better time to buy.

P.S. - are you still selling that key fob?

Old 10-01-2008 | 01:40 PM
|
Teamspeed Junior Member
mass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond reputemass has a reputation beyond repute
ATL - I think the time has passed for me to start doing that as I have already negotiated the deal and the car is on the ship. I do like the idea of freebies as that will help defray the lack of disount. My concern is if they say no, we can't do anything and if I back out, they will say we can sell the car that day for full MSRP and I just waited 3 months for nothing.

Key is sold buddy.

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:29 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
The car must be in high demand for it to sell at MSRP right now, what are you getting a GTR? GT2/GT3RS?

If you think they are going to hold firm you can always test the waters by saying you had a call from another dealer that was offering you less but you really want this car, is there anything you can do. If they say, no too bad, we will sell to someone else then you can just come back with your tail between your legs and take it like a man. At least then you will have tried.

Old 10-01-2008 | 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
I think the information is too general for us to give legitimate advice on the issue. Unless it's a specific high line car from a dealer doing strong business, you're still in the position to further negotiations. You haven't signed anything, therefor it's within your rights to bail on the car free and clear. Tell your sales adviser the truth, because of recent issue you're no longer in the position to be paying the previously agreed upon price for the car. You haven't lost interest in the car, and at a newly negotiated price you would be willing to take delivery.

Keep in mind, that such action could jeopardize your relationship with the dealership, and they may indeed not agree to a new price. So, be prepared to walk from the car. And, you will be the laughing stock of the dealership in the sales office for trying to renegotiate an ordered car because of the market, they don't see kindly to that kind of stuff.

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:45 PM
|
Teamspeed Junior Member
Sorry, I thought I stated: 09 Carrera S.

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
While I don't agree with renegotiating after you made the deal it can't hurt to ask. Walking away or being a dick ruins the handshake deal & your credibility. That being said, I agree with you on the economy & i think the dealer would too. Be honest, talk to the GM & tell him you don't know what to do b/c you've been hit hard. What's the worst he can say?

Good luck,

Old 10-01-2008 | 07:21 PM
|
Teamspeed Junior Member
Initial response from the manager was displeasure that I would try to renegotiate along with no further discount.

That was fun. What a waste of time and energy. Lesson learned.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:55 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Stryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond reputeStryke has a reputation beyond repute
The way I look at things is if you made a deal and gave you word then that right there was your deposit and I am not into renegotiating a deal after it is done.

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:17 PM
|
Teamspeed Junior Member
I agree and it was short sighted to even go think about this path regardless of how much money I lost recently.