Notices
991 | 997 | 996 General Porsche Water Cooled 911 Discussion Forum.

First DE this weekend.....WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:05 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
First DE this weekend.....WOW!

Last weekend I attended my first DE. NOT in the C4S Cab though.

A buddy had won an auction where they offered the use of a Porsche Race Car and full instruction for a PCA club DE.

We were at Roebling, near Savannah. Absolutely amazing road course. Nice long straight, then great tight curves. Great group of people.

I was fortunate enough to be paired with legendary race guy Dave Rodenroth and his 944. This thing was not what I expected, but what a remarkable job we did getting it through the paces.

After my first run, I got the hang of the car and the track. Of course, dumping the race clutch at 5k was a bit different than my daily ride to work, but WOW what a feeling.

Got used to climbing into the cage feet first, 5-pointing into the Sparco seat, helmet on and microphone working, then off we went. Straight pipes were the only music.

Dave stayed in my ear the entire time. Coaching, pushing, letting me rip it. Great guy, very encouraging when I hit the marks too.

We had about 1.5 hours of classroom instruction first, then 3 heats on Saturday. Between heats, we watched the blue/white/red/black groups go, and GO they went!

By my second run, I was passing 996's, 997's, a Jetta, an S2000 and even a 997 Turbo. The thing about the 944 is, you've got to keep it nailed or it won't keep up, so we rarely let up on the gas, other than a couple of sweepers.

By the 3rd run, I was feeling great.

Sunday was even better, it all came together, I nailed apexes and finished in the right spot for the next one, lapped a few others, and just had a ball. Really shows how you can push these Porsches and they just keep on giving.

Hat's off to Florida Crown Region and to Rodenroth racing for a phenomenal weekend. I had a blast, and would do it again anytime.

Oh, and THESE bad boys were not in the 'green' group:

GT3RSR running racing fuel, huge badass pipes out the rear, unbelievable performance on the track

Look closely in the background - that's Neil Orton (Orton Performance) working on their turbo entries.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:15 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Nice pics, sounds like you had a great time Eric! I have yet to attend my first DE, I'm hoping to catch one in Atlanta sometime soon! Anyone have any suggestions?