Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 AM
Teamspeed Member
Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Clutch problem

Guys, I did a search on actuator/slave cylinder but didn't quite understand if it pertains to my problem. Please bare with me as I am not mechanically inclined on what my problem is.

Car: 07 997TT 6-speed

It began last week when I pressed on the clutch pedal and noticed a squeaky sound when it was pressed all the way (like an old bed frame sound). But the clutch operated fine so I thought nothing of it. (Not sure if this relates or led up the problem that I am dealing with now).

I woke up yesterday and like any other day started the car up in the morning. However when I started the car, I noticed that the clutch only came back 1/2 way. It was strange. So I stepped on it a few more times to see if maybe it was "caught" on something and would fix itself. It didn't. I proceeded to reverse the car out of the garage but found it extremely difficult to put into reverse. Finally as I started to drive, I noticed that the clutch would catch extremely early on its release. Something was definitely off.

Finally, I just randomly decided to use the tip of my shoe to pull the clutch back towards me from behind the clutch pedal. It worked. The clutch returned to it's normal position, though the feel of the pedal was still "off" slightly.

Today, the same thing happened. I took the car to the dealer and was told that the actuator needs to be replaced. This unit has something to do with the hydraulics in the clutch making the pedal return the normal position? It was worn out and needs to be replaced I'm told.

As I mentioned I am not mechanically savvy so I am looking for some help/advice.

I've been told by another source that it could be the slave cylinder. So I ask is the slave cylinder the same thing as the actuator? If not, then which one am I most likely dealing with? Or am I dealing with both as in it is a combo failure?

I'd hate to get one thing repaired only to find that it was something else and have to return to the dealership and pay twice to have the transmission removed again (double charge) if I had to replace either the actuator or slave cylinder the second time. Or am I over thinking in my head and the actuator/slave cylinder is the same thing, thus only needing a one time repair?

How much does this type of repair cost? I am told $1600? Does this sound right? I'm astounded to learn that the actuator part only cost less than $200?!?! The rest is labor??

The clutch itself drove fine as I remember it. No slipping, so I am guessing that I don't need a new clutch? However if I am to have the transmission removed at this point, should I just go ahead and install a new (more robust to handle upgraded power) clutch if I am planning to get an ECU tune? (Will eventually do ECU tune + intercooler upgrade, nothing more). Or will the stock clutch handle this type of power upgrade just fine? I have no interest in doing turbo upgrade.

Thanks.

Last edited by Easy888; 08-15-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe be the slave cylinder. There are many other parts than just the clutch. I would ask some 6-speed guys or rennlist.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
i woud upgrade to the 2.5 sachs clutch through switzer on here. This is the clutch you will need for your tune and any additional horsepower, additionally I would recommend doing the GT2 slave conversion to get a better pedal feel for the clutch (kinda mushy at stock). just my .02

Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 AM
Teamspeed Member
Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Easy888 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
Maybe be the slave cylinder. There are many other parts than just the clutch. I would ask some 6-speed guys or rennlist.
I kept doing research after posting this thread and from what I can gather, it does seem to be leaning towards a slave cylinder issue.

Also came to find that many are doing the GT2 conversion on the repair since it holds up better in the long run.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
Why wouldn't you trust the people who work on these cars everyday?

Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by 81911
Why wouldn't you trust the people who work on these cars everyday?
agreed, i do have a reputable porsche service center (luckily) and hourly rate is reasonable 100/150 hr....i mean after all the car does go to 200mph I think they know what they are doing or at least i hope they do.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Member
It's not that I don't trust the dealer so please do not think I'm questioning them. However from what I gathered this is an item that many feel is a faulty design by Porsche from the get go and should be a recall item and not an out of pocket fee the customer should pay for. I am only here to get a second or third opinion.

As well, I can tell you that I have brought other cars to dealerships before to fix an issue but only to have to go back a second time because the first "fix" didn't solve the problem as they thought it would. Guess what, was charged twice (not cheap) for what they were sure on the second visit was the actual problem. In other words, they guessed what the initial problem was, charged me for it, found out it wasn't that, had me come in a second time, fix again, and charged me again. So just because they fix the cars they work on everyday, doesn't equate to them knowing everything.

In addition, if I did want to do the GT2 conversion kit, my dealership wouldn't touch it since it isn't OEM. Therefore leaving the job to independents around my area such as GMG, BBI, etc.

Last edited by Easy888; 08-15-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
where do you live and what dealer are you using. I have never heard of a dealer not installing a porsche oem part on a porsche vehicle....just because it is stock on a gt2 and not a turbo doesn't mean that they wouldn't install it. I know my dealer said they would.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Easy888
It's not that I don't trust the dealer so please do not think I'm questioning them. However from what I gathered this is an item that many feel is a faulty design by Porsche from the get go and should be a recall item and not an out of pocket fee the customer should pay for. I am only here to get a second or third opinion.

As well, I can tell you that I have brought other cars to dealerships before to fix an issue but only to have to go back a second time because the first "fix" didn't solve the problem as they thought it would. Guess what, was charged twice (not cheap) for what they were sure on the second visit was the actual problem. In other words, they guessed what the initial problem was, charged me for it, found out it wasn't that, had me come in a second time, fix again, and charged me again. So just because they fix the cars they work on everyday, doesn't equate to them knowing everything.

In addition, if I did want to do the GT2 conversion kit, my dealership wouldn't touch it since it isn't OEM. Therefore leaving the job to independents around my area such as GMG, BBI, etc.

Call Sharky and ask him .. he will provide the correct answer.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
where do you live and what dealer are you using. I have never heard of a dealer not installing a porsche oem part on a porsche vehicle....just because it is stock on a gt2 and not a turbo doesn't mean that they wouldn't install it. I know my dealer said they would.
The GT2 kit is not an OEM part as I understand it. It is built/modified/sold by EVOMS and some other vendors. Hence the reason my Porsche dealership would not install such a unit.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem