Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Forward facing car seat in rear of 997TT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
Forward facing car seat in rear of 997TT?

Anyone successfully install a forward facing car seat and have enough room for a passenger? Which model? Did you have to take the seat apart or anything?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Shouldn't be a problem. Some dude I ran into at Palo Alto airport had one in his Turbo. Took his kid to school everyday in it. Rear-facing is a bigger problem.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Banned
sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
how big is your kid

i only buy recaro car seats, britax are too wide

Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Forward facing child seat or booster?
Porsche sells a rebranded but custom Britax? booster. There have been several threads on 6speed about altering seats (i.e. removing the base off a front facing child seat) to make forward facing child seats fit in the back. I looked into this myself and even contacted Britax who not surprisingly said this is NOT safe.

Bottom line: if they're not big enough to go into a booster, you can probably make something work, but IMO, it's just not a good idea.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 AM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe the Recaro ProSport. I just ordered one for my RS, but for the front seat. It's a combination harness/booster without a large base and it's suitable for a wide range of kids. You can try mine if you want, I'll have it Monday. I also have the Recaro ProRide, but that has a fairly large base, so it may not fit.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ara
Maybe the Recaro ProSport. I just ordered one for my RS, but for the front seat. It's a combination harness/booster without a large base and it's suitable for a wide range of kids. You can try mine if you want, I'll have it Monday. I also have the Recaro ProRide, but that has a fairly large base, so it may not fit.
You can put any number of seats up front as long as you disable the airbag, but his question was about the rear. It's worthless which is why I had no issue installing a cage

Old 06-24-2012, 01:34 AM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
True. The reason I mentioned the ProSport is because it is sized like a booster, but is a harness that can accommodate younger and smaller kids than most boosters. I think that seat has the best chance of fitting in the back of a TT since it doesn't have a large base.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
forward facing, not a booster. I definitely wouldn't want to alter the car seat at all. Thanks for the offer to try the seat, Ara. I don't have the car yet to try it in! But obviously before I buy I'll have to investigate and come up with a solution. Was hoping someone had it all figured out.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
The two car seats I've seen in the backs of 997s were both full child safety seats, not boosters. The one in the TT was a Recaro IIRC and the other was another big name one. I believe Porsche sells a rebranded Recaro specifically for their cars. Let us know what you end up buying. I'll need to get one too for when my daughter's old enough to face forward....

Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Banned
sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!sonofthestig You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I've got two prosports, great seat, and a signo which is now the proride

Only thing I don't like about prosports it lacks padding around head

U need to stick cotton in there to fluff it

Quick Reply: Forward facing car seat in rear of 997TT?