Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

School me on 997's

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
School me on 997's

Sorry for a question that I'm sure has been covered a million times before, but the forum won't let me search for "997.1". My last Porsche was a 996 GT2 8 years ago. If I can get rid of my Mercedes, I'm strongly considering buying a friend's 2008 Turbo.

I really haven't paid any attention to the 997's. Am I understanding right that the .2's are faster but .1's perhaps more reliable and take better to mods? Have there been any problems with the .1's I should know about? What maintenance costs should I expect? It's a 6-speed, so transmission isn't an issue.

Any options that are "must-have's"? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!A3aan You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Awesome car the 997.1 turbo, I want one myself soon!

997.1 turbo is the basically the same engine as the 996 turbo, lots of mod's availible (IMO needed, will make the car handle and drive much better).

Forum sponsor sharkwerks has on their site a lot of parts/mods shown.

Must have= manual trans, the rest you can get aftermarket if you want..

Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
zzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond reputezzzspeed has a reputation beyond repute
Just a few things that you mentioned that I feel are not totally true. The .1 are not more reliable then a .2, also the .1 are only more mod friendly if you want to go above 600hp, as the PDK and internals may not be able to handle it. The .2 gets better MPG, has better stock suspension and availability of PTV. It also has a much better PCM unit unless you get an 09' .1 .
If you want a 700+hp monster then get a .1, if you want a DD that is as fast as anything else get a .2 with PDK and give it a ecu tune and exhaust.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Just a few things that you mentioned that I feel are not totally true. The .1 are not more reliable then a .2, also the .1 are only more mod friendly if you want to go above 600hp, as the PDK and internals may not be able to handle it. The .2 gets better MPG, has better stock suspension and availability of PTV. It also has a much better PCM unit unless you get an 09' .1 .
If you want a 700+hp monster then get a .1, if you want a DD that is as fast as anything else get a .2 with PDK and give it a ecu tune and exhaust.
This pretty much sums it up....I think the .1 cars sound a bit more "real" than the DFI cars. I have had a Carrera S and Turbo now and there is a world of difference between the two. You will love the Turbo as it is a great DD as well as a blast to drive. Best of luck either way you go (mine is a 6 Spd as well)

Old 06-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Spooln is on a distinguished roadSpooln is on a distinguished road
Cant help you with factual 997.2 Turbo info and reliability but I can on the 997.1

Sure guys who have .1's favor them over .2's and vice versa but since you will more than likely buy a .1 I will give you a little history on mine.

Since owning my 997.1 TT I have replaced.

-Clutch assist system (Pedal would drop to the floor) Dealer replaced once under warranty. Second time I replaced it with a GT2 Slave Conversion. I feel this mod is as important as an ECU Flash.
-Spark Plugs, I believe the plugs are called to be replaced at 30k. Well right at 30k I flashed the car, Immediately showed signs of bad plugs. Dealer quotes this job at several hours because they remove the turbos. I did it without, Disassembled part of the turbo for the clearance I needed.
-O2 Sensor (only one so far) but I did run leaded race gas a few times which may have led to pre mature failure. Less than $150 for a new one.
-Replaced Battery. May have lasted if I used a Tender
-Replaced Clutch to handle the High HP Mods.

I remember reading the Porsche 911 was right on top with the Toyota Prius for reliability. Porsche 911 is officially Germany's most reliable car

Enjoy!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SteveH
Sorry for a question that I'm sure has been covered a million times before, but the forum won't let me search for "997.1". My last Porsche was a 996 GT2 8 years ago. If I can get rid of my Mercedes, I'm strongly considering buying a friend's 2008 Turbo.

I really haven't paid any attention to the 997's. Am I understanding right that the .2's are faster but .1's perhaps more reliable and take better to mods? Have there been any problems with the .1's I should know about? What maintenance costs should I expect? It's a 6-speed, so transmission isn't an issue.

Any options that are "must-have's"? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve I owned a .1 (2007) and a .2 (current), they are both great. The .1 engine is a proven block but you only need concern if you plan on Heavy mods. If the 08 is in good shape and you like it buy it cant go wrong.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
As well spot on.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
You could trade me for my .2 Turbo S :-)

My kids love the turbo - its a great family sedan Steve. You are really thinking of moving to the dark side?

Hope all is well -

asg

Old 06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by asg612
You could trade me for my .2 Turbo S :-)

My kids love the turbo - its a great family sedan Steve. You are really thinking of moving to the dark side?

Hope all is well -

asg
All great! I'm trying to do this on a shoe-string budget, otherwise you'd have an email about your .2S...

Looks like the deal is going to get done though, hopefully I'll be posting pics of the new ride here soon.

-Steve

Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
jumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the roughjumping_horse is a jewel in the rough
Hi ZZZ Speed,

Perfectly agree to what you say..just a little thing: its not only PDK that keeps the 997.2 engine from + 600HP..its also the engine itself. You wont see that engine gving more than 600HP soon (not even with the 991 turbo-s - coming up)

By the way, I dont think that 997.2 turbo is much more economical than 997.1 turbo..you have a GT2..a car I also know...with 14/15L per 100km you´re already doing well - and then youre not slow either. The other day somebody told me he pushed the 991 and it consumed 21L per 100Km..so..

Maybe there are here and there small differences..but they are financially not relevant..

PS: yes, PCM better, PTV...well - if that really makes such a big difference..

Quick Reply: School me on 997's