Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

74#'s WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
74#'s WTH?

Apparently I thought I was doing better however, after weighing in today maybe I’m just FAT after all?

This is the car data now: 07tt 6 speed and ceramics, back seats removed, GT3 seats, SafeCraft fire X with Shark Werks custom retainer and 5 point harnesses, OEM Tequipment roll bar, TechArt type 1 wing and diffuser, Tubi and HRE 893 wheels which only shaved about 3 #s per corner.

This is the P-car manual data: 3494 for a stick. I weighed in at 3420. (no driver) That’s only “74 pounds”

My target would 2999#’s but without making serious mods I’m not sure on how to hit it. Maybe settle in at 3200# and call it the day.

Beside doing better on the wheels does anyone have any solid suggestions?

Name:  P4150096.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  45.8 KB

Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
vodkarocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds accurate, you really didn't do much in the way of weight savings...

Was the Porsche data "wet?"

Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
CF body panels

Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Sounds accurate, you really didn't do much in the way of weight savings...

Was the Porsche data "wet?"

I know. It was wishful thinking...

The data was right out of the manuel and really didn't dig to far into it.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by Itzkirb
CF body panels
Now that would be special!

Not sure if it would be worth it in the long run-time will tell? Time to tinker with some ideas without degrading the car.

Was hoping to get some addtional input-thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 01:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by N2it
Now that would be special!

Not sure if it would be worth it in the long run-time will tell? Time to tinker with some ideas without degrading the car.

Was hoping to get some addtional input-thanks
I think you can hit your target weight of 3,200ish lbs by removing the front differential and doing a RWD conversion. That's the first mod I'm doing on my 997tt!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I think you can hit your target weight of 3,200ish lbs by removing the front differential and doing a RWD conversion. That's the first mod I'm doing on my 997tt!
Nice! Do you know of anyone has has this mod?

Intresting: On the other forum in the 996tt guys are talking about removing the wing motor and asseccories and have shaved a decent amount. Questions about fixed wing up or down and driving vs.tracking also.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by N2it
Nice! Do you know of anyone has has this mod?

Intresting: On the other forum in the 996tt guys are talking about removing the wing motor and asseccories and have shaved a decent amount. Questions about fixed wing up or down and driving vs.tracking also.
I haven't read of any 997tt owners doing the RWD conversion (but I didn't look for anything on it either). Several people did this on their 996tt's- you can find a lot of info about it on the other site.

The wing motor seems like a good idea as well, I'll have to look into that.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Teamspeed Member
Freier is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey N2it, by chance did you do a before weigh in? You may have benefited more than just 74 lbs from the actual base weight. I don't recall the actual numbers, but had a similar experience with my 993. The book showed one base weight, and my scales showed another. Of course I used the scale weights to work from.

As far as ideas, those mentioned above are great (CF hood, rear deck lid), RWD conversion. You can also remove the carpet / noise padding but it gets pretty loud inside.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
I haven't read of any 997tt owners doing the RWD conversion (but I didn't look for anything on it either). Several people did this on their 996tt's- you can find a lot of info about it on the other site.

The wing motor seems like a good idea as well, I'll have to look into that.
Yeh I was doing some reading on the 996tt's and it's intresting how they are shaving some off weight.