Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Frontal Wraps / Clear Bras

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
xyzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Frontal Wraps / Clear Bras

I know this has been covered before, but I wanted to hear from owners who have had the fronts of their cars wrapped.

I just recently purchased a new 2011 Turbo (blk/blk pdk) and had a frontal wrap done by the dealer (third party). It was called "speed film", and it looks just awful. There are seams on the hood which look like they used a precut square and then had to cut additional triangles at the top of the hood by the windshield.

There are bubbles, scratches, and other imperfections in it. Needless to say, I just refused to pay for it because it looks like shit.

Now the problem is, I still want to get a good wrap on the front of the car, preferably all the way up the hood, but want it done correctly. I'm going to be putting a bunch of miles on the highway doing runs to the beach and dont want excessive chips/dings/etc from bugs and rocks on the highway.

Anyone here have any recommendations? Additionally, I'm in Atlanta Georgia...

Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like an inexperienced installer, assuming the material was a quality product.

Check your local PCA chapter, and get some recommendations. There are usually a few guys in Atlanta who do highline vehicle clear film and do it right. And they stand behind it.

Get the full hood if you can. That line across the hood on the lower priced option always looks odd.

Tell the dealer you'd like a refund on the film, assuming you paid for it.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Yeah I certainly didn't pay for it, but definitely want to have it done right. Speedfilm was the product, and not sure who installed it as it was proxied through the dealership.

Anyone else have any recommendations for ATL?

What are the best/ideal products that should be used for the wrap itself?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I hate stories like this one...let's hope they didn't damage the paint too much when using the blades.

IMO this is something I wouldn't mess around with. Go to the best guy or don't do it at all.
If I was to do it, it would be Premier ONLY. Worth the extra money to have it shipped to them.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Oh and dont bother with anyone using precut film. Only go custom. The last thing u need on a black car are dirty seams everywhere...
Best of luck.
Premier is a TS sponsor btw

Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Is Premier available in Atlanta?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
You should look for Ventureshield installers in Georgia. And/or you should call SpeedFilm (they're online) and tell them how unsatisfactory the installation is and ask for them to send someone mobile to redo it at reduced cost. You want full hood/fender coverage. Bubbles and scratches are bad installation (real bad) and precut is simply a cheaper product because it takes less time.

You also may want to try 3M film (they also make Ventureshield but they're different products) as it will be a bit more durable for heavy use but may yellow over time in excessive sun.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Speedfilm is what I had, via the porsche dealer. So this is a good product, I just need a better installer? I will try contacting them directly.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute
Am I in the wrong thread? Pretty sure I clicked "FRONTAL WRAPS and CLEAR BRA's"

Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by _CEO_
Am I in the wrong thread? Pretty sure I clicked "FRONTAL WRAPS and CLEAR BRA's"

Quick Reply: Frontal Wraps / Clear Bras