Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

An almost "tragic" moment on the trip to Monterey...(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
An almost "tragic" moment on the trip to Monterey...(pics)

My dad and I are driving down to Monterey car week again this year. We have made a "annual" trip out of it (second year). We technically started at my grandparents house in Naselle, WA.

All was well besides the weather of course. We are taking the 101 down and possibly another route up the east on the way back. We were making pretty good time, and reached Reedsport, OR. For the second time (other than my birthday) my dad let me drive the turbo (which was amazing!). We had just gone to look at the sand dunes on the pacific, where I picked up driving. I still only have my driving permit, so it was pretty generous of my dad to have enough confidence in me to drive his car.

Anyway, right as I pull out onto the highway, I hear a small nock. I figured it was just a rock that I drove over. After about ten minutes, I learn that it was much more than a rock! I ran over two nails and a screw!! The light on the dash was flashing "flat tire".

All i'm thinking at this point is that our trip is over. I pull to the side of the road and let dad take the wheel. We drove about half a mile to an area where we could stop. Our current location is about 15 miles south of Reedsport OR and about 20 miles north of Coos Bay.

We tried to stay as calm as possible with the sound of air coming out of the tire. We called 1-800-Porsche to find that our trip might have been completely over. The solution that they gave us was to send a flat bed truck 150 miles from the Bend, Oregon Porsche dealer to us. And then bring us back to Bend and wait to get a new tire (which could take days). At this point my dad is furious with the lady on the other line. Then while talking to Porsche, we call Gary at Barrier Porsche in Seattle to see if this is the only solution. Sadly, he says it's that or Les Schwab.

We were definitely not going to waste all that time and go to bend, so we call 411 and find that the closest les schwab is about 15 miles away (yes!). We gave them a call and found that they could possibly repair the tire if the hole was less than a quarter inch. So we decided to take that chance. They sent Thomas out to take the wheel off and then bring it back to their center and fix it (pics below). He took almost two hours to fix the tire (which was done successfully) which meant the whole ordeal lasted well over three hours. We are still hoping that the tire holds up, considering that you are not supposed to plug high performance tires. We have to give Porsche of Monterey a call and see if they have this tire. This really delayed our trip, but we ended up getting to Monterey (I am writing this in the hotel room).

So far all is well, and we are just waiting to go to all the great events.

Hope to see some of you there!!

-George Jr.

The tire

Waiting for Thomas

Thomas Arrived...

My dad w/Thomas and the wheel

Me pretending to jack the car up...

The wheel going back on...

Finished...

Last edited by Mini George; 08-10-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
That's a sweet turbo...now, learn to watch the road!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond reputeMini George has a reputation beyond repute
I know, i've got to work on understanding my surroundings But It was a learning experience.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
Tacet-C is on a distinguished roadTacet-C is on a distinguished roadTacet-C is on a distinguished road
That's the $H17$ brudda. Especially being such a youngling! Any chance of you fellows going to the Porsche Zentrum tomorrow, the 11th, at Quail lodge in Carmel? We are test driving the new Cayenne Turbo about 1pm tomorrow!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Teamspeed Member
flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!flyonthewall You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
You car looks like it needs rims my friend I got some nice ones if your interested.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Tacet-C
That's the $H17$ brudda. Especially being such a youngling! Any chance of you fellows going to the Porsche Zentrum tomorrow, the 11th, at Quail lodge in Carmel? We are test driving the new Cayenne Turbo about 1pm tomorrow!
I have not heard about it. PM me the info please, I would be very interested!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 AM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
1st off if he just patched that tire it's not Z rated anymore and your dad needs to know to keep it light on the high speeds until he replaces that tire with a real one again.

2nd off why in the world Do you not understand the need for a Speedster Mini george? It sure would be a nicer drive down to Monterey with the top down over that Turbo

Old 08-11-2010, 02:09 AM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h20skier
2nd off why in the world Do you not understand the need for a Speedster Mini george? It sure would be a nicer drive down to Monterey with the top down over that Turbo
Listen to this guy..he knows of what he speaks.

You were near Coos Bay..my parents are there Glad it all worked out. Have fun in Monterey!

Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by h20skier
Well, I don't know why they would make this model? I guess it brings more variety to the table, but I don't really think it looks all that different than a standard 911.

On another note, it probably comes standard with run flat tires.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
^^ What if they made a "Speedster" Turbo??

You have to really know 911's to tell the differences.

Personally, I think it's a huge step that Speedster.

I enjoyed the op though.

Quick Reply: An almost "tragic" moment on the trip to Monterey...(pics)