Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Fun chasing a Cup Car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Rolex Fanboy
h20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond reputeh20skier has a reputation beyond repute
Mike you had a nice smooth line. Looked very good. That cup driver looked new to his, was he? He possibly was 50% plus more braking than needed in 4 of the corners minimum. He also looked new to the track maybe just worried about his car. I don't believe my cups were ever under 3000lbs with me in them so the 2580#'s seems light to me. That corner with the tree is either crazy technical or just hard to find a good entry. That guy was awful through it and you hit your entry every time.

Nice vid and nice work.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing, looks like such a good time.

So in your opinion is it better to have a properly modded 996tt such as yours or have a 996gt3 and mod that to ones liking? I'm trying to decide which road to go and am leaning towards the TT but have been told I'll have a better time with the 996gt3.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
helothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura about
nice vid! great driving although you said you haven't been driving for 18 months!

also VIR looks very fun although it's a bit too much high speed for me it seems like...

i guess it's always the blk/blk 996TT that is very fast at the track
i'm saying that because there's one black/black 996TT here in cali that is very fast at buttonwillow raceway everytime i'm there.

i can't wait til my trackday on 6/19 at buttonwillow!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
It must have been very pleasing overtaking all those slow cars on the straight! I love overtaking when I go Go-Karting! Great Video btw

Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really nice
The 996TT is a great, possibly the greatest, street car to own, if you do "double" duty between street and track. I spend a day prepping the car for the track (I do my own alignments) and then I spend another day returning the car back to street use, including re-installing the heated leather seats, and the only evidence of the track use is the rollbar, which gets pulled in the winter.

My trackday prep consists of a pair of racing seats and harnesses to install, brake pads on all four calipers (Yellows in front, blacks in back), bleed brakes, change oil and filter, change trans fluid, install track wheels, do track day alignment, wash, dry and install number boards.

The 996TT is heavy, and that's the only downfall to driving it on track. The thing I "don't prefer" about the GT3 is that once you have the car setup, you're limited on the power adders. That said, I know of a few very fast GT3 pilots I can't currently lap with. Fortunately they've all sold them and moved onto other platforms! The GT3 is as much a momentum car as my SpecMiata is. Once you learn and extract all there is, you're there, forever... With the 996TT, or the 997TT for that matter, you'll take a lot longer to get bored, but you'll learn slower, because the added HP will cause you more problems and mask more mistakes.

That was one reason I wasn't redlining the drivetrain in that video. I'm trying to carry more corner speed and rely less on the hammer to the right of the brake pedal.
Mike

Originally Posted by TTM0TION
Amazing, looks like such a good time.

So in your opinion is it better to have a properly modded 996tt such as yours or have a 996gt3 and mod that to ones liking? I'm trying to decide which road to go and am leaning towards the TT but have been told I'll have a better time with the 996gt3.

Last edited by Mikelly; 06-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
nice vid mike, whats going on with the miata

Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really niceMikelly is just really nice
Hey Jenk! I have it at my oldest son's house right now... Just bought the wife a new car and needed some extra space... 7 cars at the garage and shop was a bit to much... So the Miata is there. Just need to get it scaled and tuned, and it'll be ready to race... I'm really waiting for both the boys to get to the skill level required to get licensed and then we'll go endurance racing in it.

I'll be taking the Datsun V8 Zcar project to Summit Point in July to shake it down...
Mike

Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
jenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond reputejenk12m has a reputation beyond repute
gotcha, i think dez with his now lighter, big wing, big spoiler turbo and drew with his new 996 cup car will be at VIR in july with chin. if you do that event im sure it will be fun for the 3 of yall to run together

Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
I won't be able to make that one. I'm on hold for the rest of June, while I await a possible business opportunity. July is also a bit in limbo, but I'm doing a two day event in July at Summit Point. Might do "two" events in July...

Mike

Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Really enjoyed looking at the video, nice driving.