Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Porsche 911 Turbo S review by EVO

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:32 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Porsche 911 Turbo S review by EVO

"Porsche has uprated the 911 Turbo, taking it deeper into Supercar territory. David Vivian drives it.

What is it?
Porsche’s response to customer demand for a faster, more focused version of what already ranks as the fastest and most accelerative car in its range, the four-wheel drive 911 Turbo. If it steals back a little business from the ever-keen independent tuning outfits, so much the better. It costs £123,263.

Technical highlights?
Reworked turbos and higher boost pressure lift power and torque to 523bhp and 516lb ft, gains of 30bhp and 37lb ft respectively, but the Turbo S is no thirstier with a combined consumption of 24.8mpg. Porsche Torque Vectoring, which varies the drive to each individual rear wheel to achieve a more neutral cornering balance and enhanced traction when pressing on, is standard on the S. It also gets the SportChrono pack - which includes launch control and gives keener throttle, damper and stability control settings at the touch of a button - and dynamic engine mounts for improved rigidity and transitional handling characteristics. Ceramic stoppers, dynamic cornering headlights, two-tone leather carbon-shelled sports seats and 19-inch RS Spyder alloy wheels are all included in the S spec. And’s there’s no manual option – it’s 7-speed PDK and paddles or nothing.

What’s it like to drive?
If acceleration, grip and stopping power are priorities, pretty damn awesome. The 911 Turbo S is as quick to 60mph as a McLaren F1 and is only half a nose behind at 100mph. Hugely torquey engine and lightning-fast PDK double-clutch shifts combine to deliver massive, horizon-hauling thrust in return for a modest flexing of your right ankle. The engine note is more whoosh than wonderful and the whole driving experience lacks the intimate precision, instant agility and bristling tactile and sonic feedback of the GT3’s but there’s no denying the Turbo S’s blistering pace on any type of road, wet or dry. Or the relatively modest demands on driver talent needed to achieve it.

How does it compare?
If you’re looking for the purest and most exhilarating 911 experience, we’d have to point you in the direction of the GT3 RS. The Turbo S feels like a relatively blunt object by comparison. You’ll pocket a tidy saving as well. Ferrari’s more expensive 458 Italia has a much more engaging supercar vibe and a real sense of F1 technology transfer. But it can’t live with the Porsche’s pace.

Anything else I need to know?
All this comes in £130,791 soft-top form as well which, in the final analysis, probably tells you all you need to know about the Turbo S – an engine tweak and options bundle rather than a thoroughbred, but a crowd-pleaser all the same.
Source [EVO]

Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for sharing, I like the tequipment tail lights on the Turbo S. I am a big fan of this car, just wished they would of brought it to the market slightly different than a 997 Turbo like what the 993 TT had different wing etc.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!evoviiiyou You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Thanks for sharing, I like the tequipment tail lights on the Turbo S. I am a big fan of this car, just wished they would of brought it to the market slightly different than a 997 Turbo like what the 993 TT had different wing etc.
I love this car and the tequipment tails lights!! I agree with you on some sort of visual differences that should have been standard...like maybe factory aero kit or a variation of that etc...

But damn this does look hot in Guards Red! Love it and thanks for the post.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
I am a big fan of this car, but right now I am too excited for the GT2 rs.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
I love this car and the tequipment tails lights!! I agree with you on some sort of visual differences that should have been standard...like maybe factory aero kit or a variation of that etc...

But damn this does look hot in Guards Red! Love it and thanks for the post.
This car has to be crazily optioned, If I was ordering it, CF, alu trim exterior, painted grilles etc and aero kit.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Check this one out, June build for a client, All stiching deviated to yellow, Turbo S logo in Speed Yellow, gotta match the PCCB's

911 Turbo S Cabriolet
Basalt Black Metallic
Cabriolet roof in Black
Black Full Leather
Multi-stageHeatSyst-FrontSeats
DecTrimGearLvr/SelPntDevExtCol
WindDeflect w/ColorPorscheLogo
TrimStripSwitchPaintExterColor
FloorMatsColorLogo&LeatherSurr
RearSectionCenterConsolLeather
Steering Column Casing-Leather
PorscheCrestEmbossedHeadrests
PCM Voice Control
Stitching F/R seats Dev. Color
Dashboard Stitching Dev. Color
Door Stitching in Dev. Color
Door Handle Stitching Dev.Clr.
Dev.Stitching Side Centr Cnsl
Stitch RearSide Panel Dev Thrd
Exclus Option Deviating Stitch
Sports Seat Backrests-Leather
CustPkgPDK GearSelectHndbrkLvr
PCM Package Painted
Inner Door-Sill Guards Leather
Turbo S painted Speed Yellow

Last edited by Brobbins016; 05-12-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes it is sold

Old 05-12-2010, 02:34 PM
AMGFanatic
Originally Posted by Brobbins016
Check this one out, June build for a client, All stiching deviated to yellow, Turbo S logo in Speed Yellow, gotta match the PCCB's

911 Turbo S Cabriolet
Basalt Black Metallic
Cabriolet roof in Black
Black Full Leather
Multi-stageHeatSyst-FrontSeats
DecTrimGearLvr/SelPntDevExtCol
WindDeflect w/ColorPorscheLogo
TrimStripSwitchPaintExterColor
FloorMatsColorLogo&LeatherSurr
RearSectionCenterConsolLeather
Steering Column Casing-Leather
PorscheCrestEmbossedHeadrests
PCM Voice Control
Stitching F/R seats Dev. Color
Dashboard Stitching Dev. Color
Door Stitching in Dev. Color
Door Handle Stitching Dev.Clr.
Dev.Stitching Side Centr Cnsl
Stitch RearSide Panel Dev Thrd
Exclus Option Deviating Stitch
Sports Seat Backrests-Leather
CustPkgPDK GearSelectHndbrkLvr
PCM Package Painted Inner Door-Sill Guards Leather
Turbo S painted Speed Yellow
Nice spec, I hope the owner enjoys it in the best of health.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Its a great daily driver road rocket. this is what I meant in some other threads who wants an old car for that Ill go true vintage like a Ferrari 250SWB a real collectible. I would own and drive this or a 670SV etc over cars that are 15-20 years old, they are pretty to look at and make no sense to drive around other then a rare occasion.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I have an S coming next month, never knew about the different rear lights.

What's the difference, are they an option on the standard car ?

G.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 Turbo S review by EVO