Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Pi**ed off, new Turbo S coming, what to do now ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Pi**ed off, new Turbo S coming, what to do now ???

Told my dealer that i am hearing rumours of a Turbo S coming out, and that it would be sooner than the normal 'run out' that Porsche normally do in each cars cycle.
They said they knew nothing, but couldn't believe that Porsche would do such a thing, and especially before normal Turbo customers had even taken delivery of their cars.

Well got the call from my DP today telling me that there is indeed an 'S' on the way, and will be out from May/June only months after the normal Turbo goes on sale, and more to the point 2-3 months after i take delivery of mine :wall

Details are sketchy, but they are say 'GT2 power 530 BHP' but are not sure if it's the GT1 block, or the new reworked 3.8 Carrera S block. obviously ceramics and few other bits will be standard too.

Understanding, my despair, my dealer has given me a few options, and has meanwhile put me 1st on the list for the Turbo S plus i have some thoughts of my own, but i'm not sure what to do

Options:

1. Take my new car anyway, run it until June (approx 2k miles) and try and sell it for as near to what it cost, and then take the new one.

2. Flip my new car as soon as i get it, may even make a profit, and wait for the new car.

3. Take my new car, and wait to see how good the S is, and maybe flip that instead ??

What do you think ????

Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
KimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to beholdKimoTh3rapy is a splendid one to behold
Hm, quite the dilemma. I can't believe they are already doing a turbo S. I would say go with option 3, it seems the most sensible.

good luck either way.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
wow...

you don`t know how the market will develop until the new TTS is out...
that would be risky imo

indeed a very uncomfortable situation

isn`t there any option to make an arrangement with your dealer that you`ll order the TTS and drive your TT until the S arrives and trade it in to a predetermined price?

Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say flip it now to get the most money out of it. I doubt you'll get as much for it once the TT'S' has been officially announced, plus it'll have some miles on it.

Sorry to hear that you ended up in this dilemma. That's just poor product planning on Porsche's part.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Sell it asap and wait for the S, if you can get it before the summer is over that is, if not screw it and keep it.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
2. Flip my new car as soon as i get it, may even make a profit, and wait for the new car.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
SSIIICK is on a distinguished roadSSIIICK is on a distinguished roadSSIIICK is on a distinguished roadSSIIICK is on a distinguished roadSSIIICK is on a distinguished road
I agree with ECB. A buddy of mine had a deal worked out with his dealership where he would drive his Turbo for a couple months then get out and into a new one and the trade-in value was set at a predetermined price (he would lose almost nothing). It sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your dealership, so you might as well try. If you can do this with your dealer, you will either lose a couple grand on your Turbo and jump into a Turbo S or end up keeping the Turbo you have on order as of now.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
The reason the S is coming out so soon after the Turbo mk2 is because of all the complaints Porsche receives from S owners… “The replacement model is out already? But I just got the top of the line a year ago!!!!”
So this time round, the complaints will be coming from Turbo mk2 guys…

I believe both models will have a short life, will the mk2 997ttS be so different that it is worth the wait and/or the money, I don’t think so. It will not be the 993t and tS, there is just not enough room at this stage to make it that much better…

Just go for the 997tt and trade it in when the 991tt comes out.
Opssy did I just say 991

Old 01-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Member
Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Glenn Mc You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Thanks for input guys.

To tell the truth, i'm not too fussed about this in performance terms, as the standard car is obviously mega fast.

It's more a case of residuals, i have spec'd the car up well, inc sports chrono and PCCB, options that will come as standard on the S, but options tend to get devalued a lot more come trade in time, as opposed to the S that will have them incorporated into its list price if you see what i'm saying.

The other thing at the moment, is the dealer is not exactly sure of delivery date, and guessing at June/July, i have trips etc booked before that, that i was looking forward to enjoying in the new car.

My ideal situation would be to run the new car for these months, and get out of it as pain free as possible before taking the S, however, as with many things in life there are no guarantees here.
I suppose the fact that most dealers are only getting 2 of the standard cars per year should hold values up well ?

G.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
sparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nicesparkhill is just really nice
I don't know what the UK market is like, but in the US, flipping either car for a profit (or even only a small loss) is realistically not an option. There are unsold 997.2TT's hitting the dealerships now which they will likely discount to sell. If you take delivery of the regular TT, you are taking a big risk unless the dealer guarantees to buy it back at a set price. Regarding the GT2 internals, that is the first time I have heard that claim and I am little suspect.

Your point about the base price of the Turbo S versus a highly optioned Turbo is valid - that is why my wife has a Cayenne Turbo S rather than the Cayenne Turbo we originally ordered.

I think you should do either:
4) refuse the Turbo and just order a Turbo S instead
5) accept the Turbo, realizing the Turbo S is coming but that you are not going to get it.

With the options you are ordering, I think I would go with #4. If your dealer does not work with you, then find one who will.

Last edited by sparkhill; 01-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Pi**ed off, new Turbo S coming, what to do now ???