Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Lessons learned: never 'stock' again?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Lessons learned: never 'stock' again?!

Before modifying my 997.1 Turbo I really hated the idea of invalidating my car's factory warranty by modifying. However, after my mods I have realized just how inflexible the stock Turbo is (eg. can't change ride heights to counter natural sagging, can't order sports suspension or exhaust options from factory, etc etc) that now I don't think I could live with another 'stock' sports car again.

The handling (even on public roads) is night and day between a stock car that's had it's suspension sagging for 10k miles (thus changing rake and thereby weight distribution and aerodynamics as it does so) with geometry set by the factory or OPC (with their large +/- ranges for each wheel), and a car that's had upgraded suspension parts to allow for precise changes in castor/camber/toe/ride-height/rake/etc.

The thought of replacing my modified 997.1 Turbo with a stock 997.2 Turbo makes me frankly nauseous at what I would be giving up - knowing what I know now. I would be losing my mind thinking that each mile I drive the suspension is sagging more and more and there was nothing I could do about it. Perhaps going the GT3 route where everything is adjustable would be the only direction for me now; but I am not a track junkie and I love having Turbo power and 4wd.

So even when the 991 Turbo comes out, unless it has fully adjustable suspension (very unlikely) and wheel/sports-suspension/exhaust options from the factory, as much as I crave latest tech I just don't think I will be able to bring myself to buy one.

I suppose I could try modifying again with a 991 Turbo but as much fun as I had with my 997.1 Turbo I don't think I would want to spend that kind of time and money again fixing things that I believe should be delivered from the factory. Plus with after-market powerkits with the new engine/PDK are going to either be very risky or cost a fortune to strengthen components to reduce that risk. So I am not sure I will have the same confidence to go down that route. Maybe a 991 Turbo with just upgraded suspension would be the best solution...

Anyone else reached the same conclusions??

Old 01-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree i don't think the 997.2 turbo is significant enough of an upgrade for you to trade in your turbo on

Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, it is a lot of money you have to invest and the time it takes to get all the parts and get them installed. But I also drive about 30K miles a year, spread across mostly two cars. So sooner or later I have to buy a new car anyway. I have not driven a 997.2tt but from all accounts I can read it is a lot better. If all I have to take care off is the suspension than that is an easy $5-6K and done. Exhaust even on the videos on the web sounds much throatier than on the 997.1. It may not sound like a real after market but it looks to be a titanium Akrapovic, even if not the same as the after market one, you will be hard pressed to get a lighter and better performing exhaust on there.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Alex your TT is perfect, keep her and enjoy and enjoy and enjoy!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DJ
Alex your TT is perfect, keep her and enjoy and enjoy and enjoy!
Agreed. Alex, keep it and tune it further to 600+ HP.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The only problem with modifications is that you never recouperate your investment.

I have heavily modded all of my cars (except my Ferrari) and have had to choke down major losses when I sell or trade them.

But on the other hand, they are awesome while you have them!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Alex you've had so much fun modding your .1, I can't even imagine you without it. If your contemplating getting a .2 or the 991; from what I've read of your posts, I would have to say, "Not just yet". Drive yours into the ground, have fun with it as you have and just keep going. I've read most of your posts during your upgrades; maybe keep your current .1 and add a .2 or 991 later? Just keep this one. K, done with my ramble...

Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Just get the .2 rear tail lights, your car is way better looking than the .2 as I dont like the front end.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Alex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TurboRSC has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Now I am on the precipice of becoming a father, I think supercars will be taking a back-seat for a while. So keeping my Turbo long term and then probably renewing my Audi each time a new RS6 Avant comes out, seems like the best option for me.

Buying new gas-guggling (read: most sports) cars here in the UK though is about to become very expensive. The road taxes for such cars are about to go over £1000 per year! Anything over 255g/km CO2 is going to get taxed to death so much so that I think people are going to stop buying them all together.

Last edited by Alex_997TurboRSC; 01-17-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!BMWRacer13 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Porsche newb question but is the 991 the codename for the 998 911 or a completely different model?

Quick Reply: Lessons learned: never 'stock' again?!