Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   991 | 997 | 996 Turbo (https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996-turbo/)
-   -   Switzer Sledgehammer shatters 60-130 record (https://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997-996-turbo/31492-switzer-sledgehammer-shatters-60-130-record.html)

Jo_Switzer 11-04-2009 01:31 PM

An excerpt from that article specifically about engine temp.

At David’s rather courageous urging, I upped the pace until we were the fastest car on the track, numbers on the door or no. Lap after lap passed by, the turbos spinning hard and the speeds increasing, but the temp needle never moved. At some point I realized that David had surreptitiously turned on the climate control, presumably because it was getting awfully hot outside. Credit Porsche for making a bulletproof car, or Switzer for tuning it reasonably, but make no mistake: it’s ready to be tracked to your heart’s content.

Jo_Switzer 11-04-2009 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by TurboArt (Post 438955)
Now Les, the question is: Can you beat the 221mph:D

A different question might be: can YOU beat the 9.79 @ 146.9? :friends:

bmoores 11-04-2009 02:43 PM

Go give it a shot Art. We know you can drive! Get that thing in the 9's before you sell it.

salihbjk 11-04-2009 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou (Post 438443)
I would say she is good for a low to mid 150mph quarter run on kill mode...I have no idea on the mile but I will for sure get her to an event this coming spring.

On the Tip, is that not the same trans in the Biturbo Merc V12 cars? I know those things make a lot of torque out of the box and even more on the Renntech and Kleeman tunes/mods. I bet those transmissions have some serious strength.

Let's also hear the opinions of switzer guys :)

TurboArt 11-04-2009 05:32 PM

:dizzy::dizzy:I will give it a shot. I know I will beat the mph but the e.t. would be a different question. Challenge is on:spar:

Originally Posted by Jo_Switzer (Post 438960)
A different question might be: can YOU beat the 9.79 @ 146.9? :friends:

evoviiiyou 11-04-2009 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by TurboArt (Post 438955)
Now Les, the question is: Can you beat the 221mph:D

Im really not sure my car will do on this latest race gas mode in the mile? I will certainly try to beat it :spar: thats for sure!

GT RUS 11-05-2009 04:18 PM

4.25....wow...I cant even imagine how it feels ...must be SCARY !!!

Tym Switzer 11-07-2009 04:01 PM

Thanks to everyone who complimented the run.

4.25 wasn't scary, but it was a handful. :)

Art... you should have no problem beating that 1/4 time if you can get a good pass... your car has had some great people involved in its creation. I can tell you that because I wasn't willing to raise the limiter on Sledgehammer any higher, that I was on the rev limiter in 4th gear before the traps on the 9.79. I didn't want to shift to fifth because I felt I was close enough to the end of the track. Turns out I could have used more rpm or an earlier shift to 5th. Either way, I optimized that combination to perform as well as I felt it could within the limitations of the stock engine. Stock cams, stock rods, etc. Recently I've been pushing the engine further, but that has been to satisfy my own curiosity about a few things and get the data I need for the other projects we've been working on.

I hope that you can get the car out and run some great times before you sell it. I think that a 9 second pass and a blistering 4 sec 60-130 time will be a great exclamation point on a terrific build. Your 221 in the mile was awesome! Btw, I don't think Sledge would be able to hit 221 due to the gearing and rpm limitation... so no challenge there! ;)

Freak... just to make it clear... I don't like to tune on chassis dynos. They give us an idea of where we are at as far as peak power potential, but I don't rely on them for much more than that. I've always preferred to tune my projects in real world conditions, because at the end of the day, that's where it matters. Any of the 60-130 times I have posted have literally been on test drive tuning sessions.

TB993... many of your points are well taken. More than keeping tuners honest, I think that your contribution of the 60-130 reference point has been a great tool for me individually to more consistently monitor our progress with a given combination. Much appreciation and respect for that.

Also... on the rods... the durability of the stock assembly has far exceeded all of our expectations at this point, but I've learned quite a lot from its performance over the last year and a half. We've gained some valuable insight into the platform with the Sledgehammer project and I hope that we will be able to apply all of that data in the next few months.

Again... thanks to everyone for the compliments on the run.

All the best,

TurboArt 11-09-2009 12:28 PM

Thanks Tym for all the compliments and info. It is amazing what you guys have done with these cars on stock internals and blows my mind. Todd K. actually has my 6th gear rev limiter at 8300rpm:) I had some clutch issues at the mile and the boost was at 29psi. This car has a lot more left in her. We had a few 200mph passes, engine heat was normal, no oil leaks, no water leaks and intact. The car has RSR cup car suspension on it and let me tell you at 190mph when I had to shift to 6th gear the cars front end still came up like a Rocket. I've been on a race bike at 190+mph but let me tell you in this car it was scarier. Love watching what you guys do with those motors and pushing the envelope, congrats and keep it up.
Art

Originally Posted by Tym Switzer (Post 441641)
Art... you should have no problem beating that 1/4 time if you can get a good pass... your car has had some great people involved in its creation. I can tell you that because I wasn't willing to raise the limiter on Sledgehammer any higher, that I was on the rev limiter in 4th gear before the traps on the 9.79. I didn't want to shift to fifth because I felt I was close enough to the end of the track. Turns out I could have used more rpm or an earlier shift to 5th. Either way, I optimized that combination to perform as well as I felt it could within the limitations of the stock engine. Stock cams, stock rods, etc. Recently I've been pushing the engine further, but that has been to satisfy my own curiosity about a few things and get the data I need for the other projects we've been working on.

Bullitt44 11-09-2009 04:38 PM

now that is moving!!!!

Congrates!!