Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Tym Switzer Post: Exploring the Stock 997TT Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
I have no doubt that the OEM exhaust on the GT2 is more restrictive in the cat and muffler than the after market Akrapovic to meet German noise and emmission standards. Aside of that they look identical. It is still a titanium exhaust and I am sure that Akrapovic does not build multiple different exhausts for the same car in terms of making the tubes and cans. Just different internals.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
dk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TB993tt
DK

It isn't "theory" and it isn't "EVO's"........

It is obvious from Tym's "technical" splurge above that he is a newbie to Porsche and doesn't know the history of these engines.

The engines weak points are well known because they were raced to destruction.....as Todd says, why are you guys so hell bent (no pun intended) on stock internals ? It is not a badge of honour, it just shows that you don't know that much about this engine and its background......
Regardless of how long Tym's involvement has been in the Porsche world, we are well aware of the numerous debates on stock rods and internals. The original goal for Sledgehammer was 700 whp. Tym feels that "the engines are capable of quite a lot of power with proper tuning and that 700 whp is not unreasonable if the rest of the combination is designed to support it." We are also in the process of our engine development program because our clients are asking for the bigger hp builds. The goal of Sledgehammer was only to make 700 whp reliably, not 800 whp, and certainly not 915 whp. Oddly enough, the motor has still held together at 915 whp and 800 wtq as we are exploring the limits of the 997 motor. This makes us feel even more confident than before that we can offer our clients a solid and reliable 800 crank hp kit (700 whp) on the stock motor.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Impressive stuff, well done.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
For the record DK, I had my 996tt at 700whp with a Proto tune and well over that number for Torque on stock bottom end. All rods were inspected before the build and everything looked clean. I guess I got lucky

Old 11-02-2009, 02:37 AM
Banned
Freak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these parts
Toby just can't stop it!!

Switzer beating the hell on ur SLOW BUILT porsches on Russia!!

Switzer beating Euro tuners from 0-100 , 100-200 , 0-300, 1/4 mile, 1 mile and STUPIED EUROPEAN LONG STREET RACING!!

Who need ****ing 340-350km/h for 1 hour to prove it fast!!!

Euro tuners ALWAYS fast in magazines!!!

Guess what...My friend 997 GT2 ( Flashed only by U.S tuner ) raced $300k RUF R12...Rolling 80km/h for 800m distance and beat by 7-8 cars and the GT2 pull it harder on top end.

I will VBOX the GT2 and let u know

Last edited by Freak997turbo; 11-02-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Freak997turbo

Switzer beating Euro tuners from 0-100 , 100-200 , 0-300, 1/4 mile, 1 mile and STUPIED EUROPEAN LONG STREET RACING!!

Guess what...My friend 997 GT2 ( Flashed only by U.S tuner ) raced $300k RUF R12...Rolling 80km/h for 800m distance and beat by 7-8 cars and the GT2 pull it harder on top end.

Freak
What can't I stop ?
The rod "debate" or "opinion" is not either of these, the unknown seems to be what duration at full torque can the rods take.
My 993tt (which despite what Mr Switzer seems to think is virtually identical in the bottom end as the 997tt) had about 800NM on overboost and when it was taken apart for some other work it had two rods exactly like the ones Todd showed - apart from mine didn't have cracks - that was a 520hp/760NM engine !! That was tuned conservatively on the engine dyno by RS Tuning, no detonation or other issues just proper torque !!

Try and understand this:
Your friends flashed GT2 beating an RT12, yes I believe it !

I had a flash on my GT2 (with 200cell cats and headers) and it had at least 615hp..... It did 0-300kph in 26.Xs so just about the same as an RT12....

The difference is that the flash is working the VTGs too hard and if used a lot like this then there will be problems either ECU will shut down the fun and/or the VTGs will be too hot and will break, also the heads may warp over time due to too high temperatures.
The RT12 can do 0-300 in 26s all day long with no problems - in fact a bit like my current tune, not as fast as could be but reliability just like Porsche - this is what some people want and need for others there are other solutions.

I post this stuff and people can read and make their own choices

Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud ofTB993tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Schwabe
I have no doubt that the OEM exhaust on the GT2 is more restrictive in the cat and muffler than the after market Akrapovic to meet German noise and emmission standards. Aside of that they look identical. It is still a titanium exhaust and I am sure that Akrapovic does not build multiple different exhausts for the same car in terms of making the tubes and cans. Just different internals.
Schwabe
The Akra aftermarket muffler for the GT2 IS different to the factory OEM one. The inlet pipe location is in a different place and the diameters are bigger. One cannot swap the aftermarket for stock without buying the Akra titanium 100 cell cats with Ti housing and specific Ti link pipes..... $$$$$$$$$

Old 11-02-2009, 10:06 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
dk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond reputedk996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TurboArt
For the record DK, I had my 996tt at 700whp with a Proto tune and well over that number for Torque on stock bottom end. All rods were inspected before the build and everything looked clean. I guess I got lucky
Art, i am not sure i would say you were lucky. Proto is definitely one of the best out there and that doesn't happen too often by getting lucky. As we have always stated from the very beginning, 700 whp is not unreasonable if the rest of the combination is designed to support it. That is a great testimonial! Thanks Art.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Originally Posted by Freak997turbo

I know that we will always have people that either disagree with us or have doubts. But certainly, our customers are believers when they take possession of our final product. We have just accepted that fact that no matter what we do, whether we post a 9 second 1/4 mile run on a full weight car with 19" wheels and stock air pressure, or post the fastest 60 - 130 run, or video of some of our customers car, or post a seemingly unbelievable 915 whp dyno graph on the stock motor, we know we can never satisfy everyone. And that is fine since we are not trying to satisfy everyone. As long as we satisfy every one of our customers, our mission has been accomplished.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Banned
Freak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these partsFreak997turbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dk996tt
I know that we will always have people that either disagree with us or have doubts. But certainly, our customers are believers when they take possession of our final product. We have just accepted that fact that no matter what we do, whether we post a 9 second 1/4 mile run on a full weight car with 19" wheels and stock air pressure, or post the fastest 60 - 130 run, or video of some of our customers car, or post a seemingly unbelievable 915 whp dyno graph on the stock motor, we know we can never satisfy everyone. And that is fine since we are not trying to satisfy everyone. As long as we satisfy every one of our customers, our mission has been accomplished.
I know so many rich ppl getting thier built/tuned cars from 9ff, Ruf, Sportec

They got slower results or broken engine from those Euro tuners.

type RUF, 9ff, Sportec or any Euro tuners on youtube...How many vids belong to customers u would see?? 90% of those vids r belong to those tuners unlike Switzer ( And he is still new Porsche tuner ) , Protomotive, EVOMS.....etc plenty of CUSTOMER vids r avaliable.

Quick Reply: Tym Switzer Post: Exploring the Stock 997TT Engine