Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Dealer sold me salvaged turbo no disclosure

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Teamspeed Member
nyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of light
Dealer sold me salvaged turbo no disclosure

I recently purchased a 1996, 993 Turbo with 2670 miles. I have driven the car less than 100 miles since it was delivered to me within the past few weeks. The car was advertised as follows,

“This turbo has only been driven 2670 miles in the past 13 years ! It was special ordered in “paint to match “ Polar Silver with FULL black leather interior, sunroof, and “werks” center console. The first owner kept the car for three years driving it a little over 800 miles a year. He only drove it for pleasure, never in bad weather, always kept it garaged, and had all the scheduled service performed. Because of its great condition and exceptionally low miles the second owner purchased the car for his private collection with the intention of keeping the car just as it was and not adding any more miles. It has only been driven 500 miles in the past year and is in NEW condition.”

I thought I found the perfect 993 TT I had been looking for. Unfortunately I found out 6 days ago that the car was involved in a bad accident in Virginia in 1998, was given a salvaged title, declared a total loss by the insurance company, and sold off to somebody else at the appropriate price considering the condition. I am not going to mention the name of the dealer here as there will be pending legal action against him, but it is a high-end dealer that routinely deals in exotics and classics.

I have spent the past 6 days confirming the salvaged history with the Virginia DMV as well as the body shop that repaired the car over 10 years ago and speaking with multiple people that were familiar with the history of the car. I provided all this information along with 18 detailed photos showing all the signs that the car was not original to the selling dealer. My expectations and my request to the dealer was to return my funds, purchase price, shipping, and tax in return for his car back. The dealer has continued to refuse and has only pretended to tell me about “light accident history” before I bought the car. Considering I paid 2x the price of what a salvaged car would be worth and considering his ad above, I don’t think it takes Sherlock Holmes to figure out he is lying and concealed from me any damage other than a “scratch” he claimed was on the fender at the time of delivery and repaired by Porsche before the first owner would accept it.

The car changed hands 1 time before this dealer bought it and because of some DMV issues ended up with a clean title before this dealer acquired it. I don’t want to debate here or make my case if the dealer was disclosed the salvage history because I want to save some issues for court, however the fact that the carfax shows it, the car if looked at shows it (and he claims to be an expert on Porsches) and he is now pretending to tell me about some accident history all has some clear implications that he is 100% full of sh&t.

Only sticking to the facts above I would love to hear some feedback from some fellow enthusiasts as well as anybody with a legal background how everybody thinks this will play out in court. Thanks for your feedback in advance and everybody should take the time to use carfax in the future, I wish I had.

(And yes a “werks” center console when translated from Scumbag to English means a phone kit where the owner removed the phone over time)

Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned
cstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nicecstroked is just really nice
A very important note - Carfax is not golden. A large portion of states do not report. No one should never by any means consider Carfax the final word, simply because it's not. There are plenty of things that go undetected on Carfax and I can tell you that's the case having encountered such scenarios myself.

Did you buy your car from a factory authorized Porsche dealer?

This should be taken up with your BBB too I'd think.

If Carfax showed it, and he didn't show you Carfax to sign, I'd think you have a strong case...

Last edited by cstroked; 09-21-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Woah, whose the dealer and did you get a lawyer yet? PM me if you need a great atty in NYC.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
spg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond reputespg993tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Woah, whose the dealer and did you get a lawyer yet? PM me if you need a great atty in NYC.
thats Canepa's ex-car. has to be Canepa. im so glad you posted this, i was thinking about the Mustang he has for sale.
i guess i shouldnt take as truth any of the details in his ad, like matchin#s, and award winning!
i guess bankruptcy or jail are two ways to learn

i hope it works out.

whats wrong with folk??

Old 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

Originally Posted by cstroked
A very important note - Carfax is not golden. A large portion of states do not report. No one should never by any means consider Carfax the final word, simply because it's not. There are plenty of things that go undetected on Carfax and I can tell you that's the case having encountered such scenarios myself.

Did you buy your car from a factory authorized Porsche dealer?

This should be taken up with your BBB too I'd think.

If Carfax showed it, and he didn't show you Carfax to sign, I'd think you have a strong case...
Agreed wholeheartedly. That blows!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
800 miles x 3yrs + 500 miles does not equal 2670 miles...

Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I have been burned by scumbag dealer non disclosure before.

Now, I won't buy any car without running my paint meter over the entire car.

I confirmed that my Audi S4 Avant had zero paintwork before signing the paperwork, and will never ever ever buy any car without running the meter myself over the car.

People suck, like Reagan said, Trust, but verify.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
that sucks, i don't have any legal advice but definitely keep us posted

Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
you purchased a vehicle that was misrepresented... sounds pretty cut and dry to me; but I am not a lawyer. BARRISTER!

Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Did someone mention the dealers name, and then edit it?

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me salvaged turbo no disclosure