Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Battery Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
peter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished road
Battery Warranty Question

I have a battery warranty question hoping someone can help me. My car haven't been driving for 2 whole day and when I try to start it the battery was dead. I got it jump start and idle for 10min, once I turn off the car it won't start.

I have a Porsche battery maintainer on if I don't drive it for more than 2 day. I don't know why the battery still dead with it on. So I called the dealer and they told me it was underwarranty if it under 2 yr. My warranty date is Janauray of 2008 so it cover under warranty he said. I got the car jump started and drove to the dealer. They had the car for the whole day and now they tell me it not under warranty because I have to put 6K mile per year inorder for them to warranty it. This doesn't make any since to me at all.

If they told me from the beginning I would just buy a new Porsche battery and put it in myself. Why would I waste my time paying them to do it. And I'm without my 911 for a whole day while driving a Madza 3 loaner back home.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Swoody is an unknown quantity at this point
I cannot answer about the battery warranty but for future reference....
10 minutes of idle will not do a thing for a flat battery. It needs some good driving time to bring it back and even that is no guarantee if it went dead dead!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Statman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond repute
well I was told you have to put 7500 miles per year on for the warranty...needless to say I did not buy oem after that.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
WTF does mileage have to do with warranty?

Old 09-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
The guy cleaning my car left the key in the ignition and drained the battery a few months after I got the car… so it died. After jump starting it and driving it for an hour or so it was back to normal, but I took it in just to make sure.

Does your dealer have a monthly minimum? Cause you can tell them you are planning to put all the required mileage in Christmas

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
peter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished roadpeter_08911tt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GrayTT
The guy cleaning my car left the key in the ignition and drained the battery a few months after I got the car… so it died. After jump starting it and driving it for an hour or so it was back to normal, but I took it in just to make sure.

Does your dealer have a monthly minimum? Cause you can tell them you are planning to put all the required mileage in Christmas
All they said was I have to put a minium of 6000 mile per year for Porsche to replace it within the 2 yr of your car warranty date or Purchase date of new battery. My car only have 6000 mile in 20 months.

I got pissed off arguing with the service guy and I ask to talk to the service manager and he explain the same BS but when he mention about the battery maintainer I told him i was using it and he said if I'm using the battery maintainer and if it working proper than he will warranty my battery.

Anyway the Porsche maintainer work and they will warranty it so I don't have to paid $400 for a new Porsche battery and labor.

FYI guys, anyone with a dead battery within two year just tell them you have a Battery maintainer on it and they have to warranty it

Last edited by peter_08911tt; 09-20-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Originally Posted by lager99
that what i said to them tooI own alot of car and this is the first I ever heard of such BS, but it seen to be true for Porsche battery

Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Statman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond reputeStatman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lager99
What I was told is if you don't put 7500 miles per year on the car the battery is not being properly "exercised" so it is no longer warrantied.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I need pos rep like Hulkamania NOW!
Brobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond reputeBrobbins016 has a reputation beyond repute
In 14 years as a dealer I have never seen a warranty on a Porsche battery. Ever...

Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Teamspeed Member
erazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud of
just my .2c. I manage my Porsche service department. The criteria for warranty of a battery is supposed to be 2000 miles a year, a two year warranty and supply a battery charger/maintainer for testing. If those three are met and the battery fails a load test I can warranty a battery. There is always some flexability with small warranty items like this. If you care about keeping the customer happy, having return business and the person deserves being taken care of, you always should. I find it amazing that the first person you dealt with wasnt able to warranty that battery for you. The owners manual can be pretty vague on battery warranty. I understand it takes roughly seven miles of driving the put back in the battery that was taken out during starting. Idling or revving the engine without driving is useless for anything other than a surface charge. It might be a "northeast" thing, but I tell people that if they dont plan on driving their cars for three days or more to put the trickle charger on it. We use the 79.99 charger from Porsche in our cars in the showroom and they seem to work well.
Might just be me and my thinking but it took someone buying that 911 in the first place to then need a battery. My guess is that they will buy another Porsche at some point or is talking one of their friends into it for obvious reasons. I would rather be the dealership/service department talked about in the positive light.

Quick Reply: Battery Warranty Question