Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

IPD plenum is installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
IPD plenum is installed!

Here are a few pictures of the IPD plenum pre-install

Cast metal

Looking inside, painted and designed with efficient airflow in mind

Compare that with the OEM plastic plenum

Not designed for airflow efficiency

The view of the inside from the top

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Close up of my engine compartment with the OEM plenum removed

Engine compartment without OEM plenum

New IPD pleum in place. Notice that the cast metal matches the intake manifold too

Another view of IPD plenum

It took Cantrell Motorsport about 2.5 hours to install the plenum which should be pretty standard for tuner shops everywhere if they know what they're doing.

My initial impressions although done before the ECU has had a chance to relearn the new parameters of the airflow efficiency brought on by the new plenum from IPD/RSS is very good. From a standstill, there's a noticable reduction in turbo lag when moving from a standstill. The engine seems to be slightly more eager to get up to speed. Bottom line is, I'm very happy with this modification and will definitely recommend anyone considering this mod to go ahead and get it. I have no plans to do a dyno at this time since I didn't have a chance to do a pre-dyno test. I should be able to compare stock vs modified soon if Larry gives me the opportunity to do so. I'll give a final report after the ECU has had a chance to adapt.

[update]: It's been almost a week since I first got the IPD installed so I've managed to put a few miles in my Turbo since then. I can tell you guys that after about 50 miles, the powerband has noticably changed for the better. Previously there was a slight dip on power delivery going from a stop but that "dip" has disappeared! Although there's still a lag from a complete stop, it's not as apparent as it once was before. The plenum has definitely worked in ensuring a smoother power delivery throughout the powerband. I would give this "mod" two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed MVP
Smoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothcab has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely wonderful write-up and pictoral of install. That is exciting news, thank you for sharing your impressions!!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:08 PM
MJS
Teamspeed Member
MJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud of
Atomic -

Have you (or anyone) yet dyno'ed with /without the plenum?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I have no plans to do a dyno anytime soon but at some point down the road I will. The problem for me is that I never had a chance to do a "before" dyno.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
MJS
Teamspeed Member
MJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud ofMJS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by atomic80
I have no plans to do a dyno anytime soon but at some point down the road I will. The problem for me is that I never had a chance to do a "before" dyno.
has anyone (besides IPD) done a before/after?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
STRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of light
I'm going to try & get the dyno results for a bone stock Turbo vs. same Turbo w/ ONLY Plenum but jfyi below is plenum dyno results from before & after on a car that had other mods including ECU, exhaust, etc.

Attached Images     
Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Gregg, didn't you just have the Tubi installed in yours? How would that affect the results of your stock vs plenum test?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
STRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of lightSTRADALE is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by atomic80
Gregg, didn't you just have the Tubi installed in yours? How would that affect the results of your stock vs plenum test?

Yeah, Tubi & IPD Plenum on my car now but from another car, not mine. I just spoke to Greg at RSS & he's going to scan some results from tests they've done. They've gotten results from 24-42 HP (w/ plenum) on a stock Turbo's. One of the things he did say is that it seems like the guys that drive harder are getting more HP from their cars/plenum. When he sends them to me I will post-up.

Last edited by STRADALE; 03-11-2008 at 02:11 PM.