Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Newbie to tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Teamspeed Member
NinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of lightNinjaBoy is a glorious beacon of light
I have tuned my car by Protomotive. Really beast of a car to drive. And also hardly any lag. And most important is that Todd is such a pleasure and honour to work with..
IMHO give Todd at Protomotive a call and have a chat..

Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
the most important thing with tuning - find a tuner near you that you can trust.

i had protomotive the first go-around and, while their reputation is great, things will go wrong. since they live in a farm in the midwest, it made fixing problems a bit tougher. fortunately, Sharkwerks is an hour away - so now i've got an EVOMs set-up - and i love the mods. if i did not have a nearby tuner, i would not have a modded car anymore - not worth it.

but things have the potential to break. often. be ready for that.

- chuck

Old 09-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carendt242
the most important thing with tuning - find a tuner near you that you can trust.

i had protomotive the first go-around and, while their reputation is great, things will go wrong. since they live in a farm in the midwest, it made fixing problems a bit tougher. fortunately, Sharkwerks is an hour away - so now i've got an EVOMs set-up - and i love the mods. if i did not have a nearby tuner, i would not have a modded car anymore - not worth it.

but things have the potential to break. often. be ready for that.

- chuck
Arkansas is midwest?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO the TT can be tuned into an insanely fast car and with a decent setup into a very well handling car but it will never be as engaging and thrilling as an RS, power aside.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Prche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by parkmonster
Folks, I am trying to decide whether to tune my 09 997TT or trade in for an 07 GT3RS that is practically brand new. Any thoughts? I have never tuned a car before so not sure at all how much more I would like my TT with more power. A few questions:

1. Which tuner would you go with in the US for quality + value?
2. Does ECU tuning with new exhaust eliminate most of the turbo lag in the 997TTs?
3. For those of you who have tuned their 997TTs, how much of a difference do you feel after? How noticeable is the difference in launching the car? How much MORE FUN is it to drive?

In the end, will you get a similar thrill to driving a GT3RS???

Thanks in advance.
not sure you can beat an RS for thrill. However, a tuned turbo will give you plenty of thrills. Any of the high quality tuners will give you a good tune. It should be a custom tune if you want the most out of it. In other words if it is an off the shelf tune and you do not have to log any data to change parameters for updates, then you will not get the most out of it.

As for tuners, the one that knows factory turbos best is UMW, he can build, rebuild repair pretty much all german made turbos. His tuning is custom and safe which is a big plus. EPL is another excellent tuner that pushes the envelope with trying things other tuners have not, like water/meth. Proto and evoms where already talked about.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Teamspeed Member
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Ruf 550 conversion. I think it might still be available at special pricing. Call Ruf and talk to Hans, you will not be dissapointed.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
OS Inspector is an unknown quantity at this point
okay, if your a track day guy the gt3 is better machine for the drover type meaning somone who can push the car not pilot it day after day

someone who wants a bad ass car who wants to enjoy it daily drive it and have something msot cars these days cant touch keep the turbo

but on the track the gt3 suspension is better

and track meaning road course nor drag strip

Old 09-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Prche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enoughPrche951 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
okay, if your a track day guy the gt3 is better machine for the drover type meaning somone who can push the car not pilot it day after day

someone who wants a bad ass car who wants to enjoy it daily drive it and have something msot cars these days cant touch keep the turbo

but on the track the gt3 suspension is better

and track meaning road course nor drag strip
For the most part, I'd agree. However, the sound of a new GT3 is great. Better cams, better rods, higher redline. There is a lot there. The turbo is a monster however, and with tuning you can get it over 600 bhp with it's VTG turbos.

Definitely call around don't rely on just one and if they say that they can send you a tune and be done with it, no more is needed, then it is off the shelf.

Check out and call, UMW, EPL, Evoms, Proto, AWE. They all have kits that will get you over 600 bhp easy without upgrading turbos.

Last edited by Prche951; 09-07-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 AM
Teamspeed Member
parkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond reputeparkmonster has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. It will be a tough decision - will keep you posted.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:23 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
I sent you a pm.

Quick Reply: Newbie to tuning