Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Steering Wheel with Paddles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
suncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Steering Wheel with Paddles?

Sounds like a good upgrade for PDK and Tiptronic owners!

And what's up with this? What's that little strip on top of the wheel? That would be cool if it was a shift indicator.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
The problem is that the paddles are fixed to the wheel, not the column. That works fine in F1 where the wheel is rarely turned over and never looped. In the real world, try up/down-shifting with the wheel in an unknown orientation and picking the correct paddle. The current buttons work much better since any push in is an upshift and any pull back is a downshift. I use it frequently on the 1-2 shift making left turns, etc.

That said, I do like the look of that paddle-shift wheel. Not so sure about the PDK "hat" on top...

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
suncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond reputesuncoastric has a reputation beyond repute
Another shot, this is a manual transmission with PDK design steering steering wheel with multi function.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute

Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^I love Porsche. "If you don't want our glorious PDK shifters, then have your paddles...with an ugly wheel!!" Give me a manual every time!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
^I love Porsche. "If you don't want our glorious PDK shifters, then have your paddles...with an ugly wheel!!" Give me a manual every time!
Amen

Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
+1, doesn't get muich easier than a Porsche shifter, very smooth, plus you can blip the throttle, Vrooooooooooooooommmm, vroooooooooooommm

Old 08-08-2009, 01:28 AM
cupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
The problem is that the paddles are fixed to the wheel, not the column. That works fine in F1 where the wheel is rarely turned over and never looped. In the real world, try up/down-shifting with the wheel in an unknown orientation and picking the correct paddle. The current buttons work much better since any push in is an upshift and any pull back is a downshift. I use it frequently on the 1-2 shift making left turns, etc.

That said, I do like the look of that paddle-shift wheel. Not so sure about the PDK "hat" on top...
Hold on a second... aren't all paddle shifts usually attached to the steering wheel? I cannot imagine how else this system would work?

I would not wanna smack my fingers on the paddles everytime I turn the wheel.

Please explain because I dont think i have seen any car with paddles attached to the column.. not the steering wheel!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
All the Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos (I think) are attached to the column. If your wheel is upside down, then it's hard to keep track of upshift/downshift paddles attached to the wheel. I'll dig up some stuff if you want me to, but if you check some google images, it should be there (or some F-car guys can chime in).

From Edmunds review of the 430 Scuderia:
Originally Posted by Edmunds
Shift paddles are fixed in place on the steering column, a style favored by racers...

Last edited by Chris from Cali; 08-09-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
salihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to beholdsalihbjk is a splendid one to behold
I wonder how much power can the PDK handle.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel with Paddles?