Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Am I discounting the Turbo because it's too perfect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Am I discounting the Turbo because it's too perfect?

I've been on a new car hunt for the past month or two. I thought I was zeroing in on it too. The criteria was it had to be a daily driver, although I would have another car too, mostly for winter but I could give the fun car a break when I wanted to. I wanted to be able to drive it in the winter, it had to be somewhat subtle, fast, and reasonably reliable. So, of course, I settled on a Lamborghini Gallardo. Then I went shopping, and was introduced to the Ferrari 360. I reasoned (wrongly, according to my friends) that a Gallardo or 360 in black or silver would be somewhat subtle, compared to Verde Ithaca or Yellow.

Throughout the whole process I haven't really considered a turbo even though it seems to be the absolute perfect fit. I've tried talking myself out of it, but I can't. So, here I sit, at square one, no closer to settling on a car. I was so set on a G or 360 but it seems like their both compromises where the turbo is just the all around performer.

So why oh why do I seem so reluctant to get a turbo? Is it really that sterile? Will I actually be bored on any level with it? The sheer mod-ability of it should hold me over from getting bored. It seems that, with the turbo, I would nullify my biggest problems with the Italians, and that is the worry that I'll come out to find someone carved their girlfriends name into the paint, or that it'll inspire the kind of ill feelings only Robert Mugabe must experience.

What can I do to push myself over the edge????

Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
Get a GT3?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
GT2. Hooohaaa.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't driven very many exotics or hyper sports cars over the years, but I have driven a 997 Turbo.

buy yourself a 911 Turbo and you'll be a happy man......period

Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
If you have some DE and autox under your belt, go look for a 996 GT2.

Every drive is exciting because like the Turbo's of the old, if you don't drive it with respect, it will literally kill you.

I think the modern Turbo's are the opposite extreme of old school Turbo's and went too far on the safety factor.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
GT2. Hooohaaa.
Yep. Especially the 996.

I have had it for three years, and I never get bored driving it, because you always know you get out what you put into.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
I highly recommend a 997 Turbo as a DD. It's what I use and it really is perfect. It will never be as exciting as a Gallardo or a Ferrari, but it is so much more livable on a daily basis, and fast as all hell, especially with some light mods.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!raclaims You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
That's the great thing about the Turbo...it's boring one second (just what you would prefer in traffic) and then it scares the crap out of you when you hit it.

Only thing it's missing is more low end grunt but you can't have it all I guess...

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!Turbogallardo You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Maybe not compared to your Cobra, but compared to a Gallardo or 360 it's got tons of grunt.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute///Milan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Turbogallardo
Maybe not compared to your Cobra, but compared to a Gallardo or 360 it's got tons of grunt.
I don't have a Cobra, you're probably thinking of someone else.
Edit: Never mind, saw that you were talking about raclaims.

996 GT2 huh? Honestly, that could be it. I want a car that can scare me, but also be civil which sounds like it. Does anyone know where I can find some reading on 996 GT2s like buying guides and what not??

Thanks for all the info so far!

Last edited by ///Milan; 05-28-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I discounting the Turbo because it's too perfect?