Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

GTR's don't like hot weather!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
GTR's don't like hot weather!

just came back from two days at the track, one of which was spent testing a GTR. conditions were awful on both days-- about 99-100 degrees, and also extremely humid.

car was silly fast and set some really quick times, but that's not the point.
i was shocked to find that in a straightline, it was no quicker than a 997.2 PDK. this was obvious during the sessions when the GTR would be right on the 997's tail entering the main straight; in fact the GTR was in its slipstream, but was unable to even pull level with the Porsche (you'll see an instance of this in the video below).

GPS confirms that the GTR seemed down on power, as comparing the acceleration data with a stock 997GT3 run the previous day, showed the GT3 was actually faster down the straight than the Nissan.

the GTR runs great in all other respects, so it must be the combination of our extreme temperature and humidity (it is summer here now) and our substandard fuel (dyno whp's consistently much lower here than what one sees in the US or Europe) that causes the ECU to dial things back.

am not knocking the Nissan, i still think its an awesome achievement. but we were all quite surprised at its inability to just overhaul the Porsche. then again, heat and turbo's are never a good combination...

here's a short video of a fun day:

Viddler.com - GTR at BRC - Uploaded by hesperus

to emphasize my point on the GTR being really affected by the heat, see this GPS animation of the Nissan vs a 100% stock 996TT. don't mind how they did in the corners, just notice the difference in straightline acceleration. note that the 996TT run was done on another day, which I don't recall being quite as hot / humid, so not quite an apples-to-apples comparo. FWIW anyway...

YouTube - GTR vs 996TT

Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey stranger good to see you posting again.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting results, but not a huge surprise considering N/A cars handle heat much better than turbo'ed cars do. I wonder how the GTR would compare to a 997TT in those conditions?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
Somebody will so it may as well be me...

you probably voided the warranty by driving in hot weather.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SLC4S
you probably voided the warranty by driving in hot weather.

If the hot weather didn't void it, racing a Porsche (and losing) certainly did!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond reputebbywu has a reputation beyond repute
Great video!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
pak
Teamspeed Member
pak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the roughpak is a jewel in the rough
nice vid man..... and interesting results....warm weather is no good for the gtr!?

pak

Old 04-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pak
nice vid man..... and interesting results....warm weather is no good for the gtr!?

pak
I think HOT.. not necessarily just warm weather. I'm assuming upwards of 95 or 100 will cause some problem's in the GTR's turbos just like any other turbo'ed car.

every since the warranty fiasco's began to surface my love for the GTR has faded. it's quite sad actually...

Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 AM
cupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond repute
Haha.. 99-100 is winter for us!

Wonder how the GTR would hold up in our 130 temps?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond reputehesperus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I wonder how the GTR would compare to a 997TT in those conditions?
i'll get back to you on that... hope fully with video and GPS again