Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Break-in Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
yarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant futureyarub1 has a brilliant future
Break-in Procedure

Hi fellas, I will be taking delivery of my 2009 Turbo cab in the next few days. I've never owned a Turbo before and I was wondering if the breakin is similar to a normaly aspirated engine i.e. take it easy and keep it bellow 4K for the first 3000km. Sorry if its a repost, I made a quick search on the subject and I did not get anything.

The car specs are:
2009 Turbo cab
Meteor Grey Manual / Black top
Black/sand beige interior
Limited slip
CF everything
PCCB
and many more options that I cant recal now. I will be posting pics as soon as I get the car. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
white-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to behold
i thought they were broken in from the factory to begin with...

and i tend to believe those folks that say you should begin the life of the engine by promoting even wear around the piston rings or something around there by high revs in most of your lower gears regularly... and then do the first oil change very early (@500 mi) to get the debris out

:dunno:

i should add that i favor this because i cannot imagine driving it all shy and tame for a thousand miles!!!!!

kidding me?

it's some variety of this article
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by white-turdbos; 03-27-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
white-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to beholdwhite-turdbos is a splendid one to behold
oh, and congrats on your delivery!!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
Like you stoled it...

With care, not exceeding 65mph

Nail it and seat the rings

Hug it before and after every dirve

No bogging/lugging

Like you've had it for years

No over revving

Change oil after 2k

Many opinions are coming your way! I would suggest "just drive it civilized"

I drove mine from the dealer acorss the bridge and somehow got snagged up by this ginormis shark hook and was reeled into the land of MOD!

Congrats to you and post pics!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the new ride. If I were you I'd baby it, keep it under 3000 rpms for 1500 miles.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it is humany possible to drive a Turbo under 3000 RPM for even 10 minutes let alone 1500 miles! You wouldn't even be able to get on the freeway.

This is one of the most divisive subjects on the planet. You can ask 100 people and 50 will say "drive it like you stole it from day one" and the other 50 will stick a laundry list of rules at you stating how you should "baby" the car for __________ miles. I am not sure there is really an answer.

Here are the only two rules you should always follow - break in or not:

1. Let the car idle after you start it at least until it idles down. It should idle down after about 2 minutes. It is even better to let it warm up until the engine oil temperature meter is off the peg (just starting to show a reading). That way there is at least some oil in the engine and no metal-to-metal contact.

2. Do not take the car above 4000 RPM until the engine oil is "at temperature." In the Turbo the temp gauge should be straight up in the middle of the dial to be at temperature. Once the car is at temp you can push it to the red line.

If you are insistant on breaking in the car I would suggest keeping it under 4500 RPM for the first 1,000 miles. Anything less than that and you are overdoing it.

Of course, this is just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions - they are like . . .

Oh yeah. RED SOX SUCK!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
The engines are, indeed, run in from the factory and come filled with synthetic oil-- they're as broken in as they're getting. Make with the loud pedal.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with Barrister on this except in terms of revs I'd gradually increase the revs up to 5000 rpm in all gears for the first 1500k about 900 miles then you can let it loose once you're at 5000k about 3000 miles anything goes

Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister

Oh yeah. RED SOX SUCK!
While I was reading what you wrote I was agreeing with you 100% until I read that!! Season just around the corner buddy are you nervous to put that red sox plate frame on your new 360?!?

Going back to the break in, I understand it would be hard to keep it below a certain rpm but with me I'm by the books when it comes to an engine break in. If you keep the car for awhile wouldn't you want to know it was properly broken in? That's just me though....Angels suck!!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond repute
Do not forget that the cars get tested on the track to their limit before they get dispatched. When I got mine, i asked the salesman about this and he told me just bury the pedal without hesitation. But i would recommend what the guys said above, especially letting the car idle after starting it. After all you waited so long it wouldn't kill you to wait a little more. Just cruise around man. I reached 1000 KM in one week maybe less.

Quick Reply: Break-in Procedure