Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Problems with my "Stealership"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Teamspeed Member
neeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond repute
Problems with my "Stealership"

So on last Friday I called MCL Porsche in Vancouver BC and talked to the service guy, Ray regarding putting on my clutch and LWFW for my turbo.
I told him I rather go through him since he was a dealership(stealership)
and but that MBeuros had offered me a rate of 13/hrs and at 80 dollars an hour. He then told me he could "match" it and would like the car brought in on monday. So Monday came around I brought the car in and left him with it, along with a $50 dollar certificate for a steakhouse which I gave to Ray for Xmas but with I lost for a while. I called him later that day to see what was going on and he told me they havent even started with the car yet so tuesday rolls around and I call them and they still havent worked on the car yet again. The next day on Wednesday I call them early when they opened up and asked whats going on. He told me that they are working on the transmission soon. I then ask about the bushings , and they said the bushings are gonna take a while and they do not reccomend them at which I say I want them on but at that point I told Ray I wanted to get the bill printed up because I needed to know what the damage would be with bushings. ( I guess a warning light popped up in my brain for me because why would they not want to put the bushings on?) They told me it was 130/hr at 13 hours. (Not including bushings)
The clutch and flywheel was done at 3pm on Wednesday which means it was impossible for them to charge 13 hours. And on top of that when I complained he said well there nothing they can do they already did the tranny and flywheel and they they want to give the car back and are charging me 13 hours not including the alignment. So now they are making me pay for the bill with the suspension not even done.

When I told him that was not the quote they gave me he said yes it was and that he said he match the labour hours not the rate. That doesnt even make sense to me because originaly I called in to ask the bottom line for the job, not how long it would take to do it. He didnt call me back on wednesday but this morning I got a call from the service manager and he said I better pay for the bill and take my car. I am trying not to take this personal but afraid I have. So basically they are overcharging me for the job quoted, they lied to me on the intial quote, and who else knows what I should be concerned about leaving my car to a bunch of low life thieves. at the stealership. I plan to call 1800PORSCHE but am afraid there nothing they can do...

Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Too bad, it sounds to me like a miscommunication problem, with matching the hours of work vs the total amount of dollars.

MCL as the only Porsche dealer in lower mainland always charges the highest labour rate. They were never short of business and I doubt that they will match the price of another garage in order to get your business. Porsche owners who want to save some money normally go to Weissach, Scan or others.

No affiliation with MCL, and not trying to defend for MCL or Ray here. Talk to them about this miscommunication problem and see if they are willling to give you some discount on your bill.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
torresmd is on a distinguished roadtorresmd is on a distinguished road
I have learned my lesson a long time ago. Never, ever let the stealer work on your car unless it is covered under warranty.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
neeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond reputeneeenja has a reputation beyond repute
Haha I wish you told me that lesson earlier!

MOD!!! This is a valuable sticky!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
AAHTT is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually 13 hours at 130$ is not that bad for a dealer clutch job, you are lucky the dealer even accepted to install a non stock part. when I tried to have my sachs 2 installed, both dealers in my area refused to touch the car because it was a non stock clutch and even if it was they wanted to charge 18 hours including removal of the engine.
I later got it done by a private shop in 11 hours without engine removal.
dealers are for warranty work only as said above.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond repute
sorry to hear about your problem,but thx for the new term i have learnt and apropriatly adopted:the STEALERSHIP

Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 AM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
So sorry to hear about your issues. I know this doesn't help now but always get a quote in writing before you start work so there are no issues later on. To add insult to injury you even gave him a gift card, what a douche. That sucks Are there any local independent Porsche mechanics near you?

Btw, there are lots of dealers that will install aftermarket parts, just depends on your dealer and if they're mod friendly.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
Pay the tab and move on. I've had similar problems before. Not worth the time and aggrevations. $130/hr is actually not too bad either.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
And remember, it's $130 CDN, so only about $110 US. That sucks man. Just bite it, one of life's lessons, and move on. Rip them whenever you get a chance though, at all the Porsche meetings and gatherings, even ones they host.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget that when you say 13hrs it doesn't mean in a day. Could be 2 or 3 guys working on it. Should always have it in writing, but personally I would pay my dealer more/hr then a garage.