Notices
991 | 997 | 996 Turbo Porsche's Modern Day Twin Turbo Discussion Forum.

Trying new Pcar tuner for 700hp on 996 Turbo. EPL

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Arena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond repute
Trying new Pcar tuner for 700hp on 996 Turbo. EPL

Sorry this is a little long but trying out a new tuner and wanted to give you the whole story.

Some of you know my good buddy Brian that owns SCORES Nightclub in Baltimore. He had a perfect 1999 996 C2 w/minor upgrades but a perfect car that he had owned since 2003. He is a very-very passionate P-car guy that is more modest than his passion. To give you a idea the turbo shopping started in early 2007 and ended 20 days before 2009. I gave him my 997 Blue Turbo that was on here with PCCB's and he almost pulled the trigger but didn't, and would have no problem doing so, but understands depreciation and opted for the sick deals on 996 Turbos. Well we flew to FL and picked up a 01 Turbo Silver/Black 19,000 mi. 6 speed car that was listed on ebay by a dealer and lets just say the deal well, it was all but easy. The dealer now known by his aka.Ricky Bobby didn't make it painless but never the less it was a diamond in the rough.

Brian's main objective for yes, 2 year's, was to purchase a car that scared him every time he drove it and we thought this would be close, factoring what he was coming out of, and knowing cars. I should have mentioned his childhood pal has a EVO GT700 which scares him, so we have laid the foundation with keeping in mind he may have to spend a couple bucks to get there. This is what the car came with.

Mod's Purchased With:

* Full Techart Body
* Black Techart 18" Wheels
* FVD ECU
* Come to find out K24's. The car was advertised with modified factory 18's.
* Techart Exhaust
* Carbon Interior, Full w/wheel
* PSS9 Coilover's

Well after many ideas being tossed around EVO upgrades were out.
Protomotive was almost done but reconsidered and was a no.

After a ton of research and questions being answered by European Performance Lap they were chosen to be the mad scientists. They are otherwise known as EPL in Stanford,CT. They are going to K24-18g turbos, new software, btw old software was pulling .9 bar max and we hope to see 1.2 or 3 bar, and 58lb Injectors. They have a Mustang AWD dyno and it pulled 420@awd wheels before, with issues in the software. There was a downward slope in power after 4k. PROBLEM. They loaded there software and no more problem(same setup purchased with, same turbo,inj.).

I will load up picks of the car tomorrow and update you guy's when we get info. We are very excited with what they say and these guys are highly recommended by Audi guys. They started doing P-cars a couple years ago but they talk straight so lets see. I am not 100% sold but Brian is so lets see what they can do.

Any and all info on these guys we would love to know, good-bad without bashing.
Thanks,J

p.s. the EVO GT700 is there getting the same work performed. His car dynoed @450 AWD wheel hp.

Last edited by Arena; 02-17-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Neijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond reputeNeijia has a reputation beyond repute
Fun to be Brian today... he want's a car that scares the shit out of him; I like this man.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ArenaMotorGroup

p.s. the EVO GT700 is there getting the same work performed. His car dynoed @450 AWD wheel hp.
there is something very wrong w/ his car if that's all it is dyno-ing.

- chuck

Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
N2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond reputeN2it has a reputation beyond repute
Dancer dollars can go along way...

Sounds like a great project.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Luis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond repute
What did the GT700 dyno at again?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
dubaudi is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have personally done a little more research before chosing someone who has been tuning Porsches for all of 2 years.

A few quick searches on the two main Audi forums would show you some VERY mixed opinions about EPL. Their dyno is...well....."their" dyno. Their (again) cars put down some serious numbers. Most others don't.

Personally, if you're anywhere near the NY/NJ/PA/CT area and you want a 996 tuned, I would be at ProtoSport in NJ. That being said...I wish your friend best of luck. Hopefully his car turns out to be everything he expects.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond reputeTurboArt has a reputation beyond repute
Why don't you post the dyno graph with the AFR, I am sure some of us might be able to pin point the issues. Are there any dips in the graph? Does the car have race mode with good fuel? Did they perform a boost leak test? Are the injectors upgraded? How about FPR? Let us know.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!joetwint You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
The OP would be better served just praising the shop that did his friends work than trying to disparage two other tuners especially since his friend will have a hard time trying to beat numbers that GT700's put up 3 years ago.As others have said there is something seriously wrong with a GT700 that only puts out 450 whp on a Mustang.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Luis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond reputeLuis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joetwint
The OP would be better served just praising the shop that did his friends work than trying to disparage two other tuners especially since his friend will have a hard time trying to beat numbers that GT700's put up 3 years ago.As others have said there is something seriously wrong with a GT700 that only puts out 450 whp on a Mustang.
+1.........

Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Arena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond reputeArena has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Chuck, have you ever dynoed your car? Thanks a bunch. The GT7 owner was wondering.
BTW, I think I may have come across wrong but I love EVO stuff and they have always been great guys to me. Both cars were dynoed at the shop last week when they got there and that is where the numbers came from. I also think the world of Proto. I am not trying to talk bad about either I have had great success with both. Again, I would have gone with either of the other two tuners personally.

Quick Reply: Trying new Pcar tuner for 700hp on 996 Turbo. EPL