Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

Abused or just bad Pirelli Pzero Tires? (part III)....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
Abused or just bad Pirelli Pzero Tires? (part III)....

Well, been to the dealer had them take pictures of the said tires and have them sent it to Italy to see what they say, hope they can warranty them but I doubt it. Also will send the actual bad tires to pirelli here to see what they going to do about it. Tires are NOT suppose to go completed GONE in 1800 miles right??!! Again no track driving, and I always have an eye on the TFT tire pressure monitor on my left screen which is always there when I drive.

anyhow, PSS fronts on, and will do an alignment after a test drive tomorrow. These babys already look great and feel comfy, i can actually stop for red lights in time now! woooohoooo! It costs 30-35% more than the pzeros and BS S001s, but its advertised to wear 50% better,..... we'll see....

while checking the rears, we dicover that it too has melted rubber but no chucks coming off yet. But did discover a 1.5" long nail in one of them causing a leak!!!

then finally for some happy news, my old novitec came in for some giant 335 rears!
so happy to see her in as new condition still with a new alcantara-ed red interior which i'll have photos later.
still the meanest best looking fcar IMO!!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnsgt

anyhow, PSS fronts on, and will do an alignment after a test drive tomorrow. These babys already look great and feel comfy, i can actually stop for red lights in time now! woooohoooo! It costs 30-35% more than the pzeros and BS S001s, but its advertised to wear 50% better,..... we'll see....
So judging by that, I would say that has a lot to do with your messed up tires. Since you say you can "actually stop for lights now" and your front tires are the ones that are gone, I am not surprised that they are as messed up as you show. You don't have to be on the track to have that happen to tires. If you drive aggressively enough, you will do that to those tires in no time. If you really were just driving around normally then yes, there is a problem with that particular tire.

I don't think I have to tell you that those tires are soft rubber and will wear faster than other tires.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I think you might want to take a long, hard look at how you drive. You don't track your cars, but driving as if the street was a racetrack is a surefire way to burn through a set of tires just as quickly.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
John,
could it be the TW weather condition? u know how hot it gets.

PSS should be marginally cheaper than those Pirelli. are they that much over there?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of lightDchaMD is a glorious beacon of light
OP is definitely driving like a jerk on public streets.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I’d like more info to make a full assessment. While the cracking appears unusual, its location and pattern suggest it is related to overheating. Any further and I’d call it blistering. If not used on the track, than these have seen some very hard street driving. While worn evenly, defects in manufacturing would create uneven wear patterns. If this is how the tire looks in 1800 miles then these tires are being used very, very hard. I see a reference to “now I can stop” with the front Michelins. Again, unless there is some outside influence then you must be braking very hard for the Pirelli’s on the front of a Ferrari to not stop well enough.

Reality check here. If the Pirellis wear out in almost 2000 miles of being driven to that degree, don’t be surprised if the Michelins give up in 4. Maybe 5.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Am I the only one seeing tires worn on the outside more than inside? Under-inflating?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
johnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond reputejohnsgt has a reputation beyond repute
damon, in part I, i mentioned my fronts are blistering before 2k miles, summer here means 90 degree days, but thats not any different than in cali or arizona, and i already run lower pressures at 1.9 bar to compensate the hot temp.
it has gone worse ever since then. i changed to PSS after 2600 miles when i start losing bigger chunks even on the outside edge along with blisters down the middle. from the missing chunks u can even spot steel belts underneath.
i showed them to tire shops and the ferrari dealer, they never seen aything like it.
hell, i drive pretty much the same way with my pzeros on my 430/scud/599/612.... and they all look fine with nothing like this and lasts 6k miles fronts with almost the same style of driving and same roads. i do admit i go a little faster in the 458 though, but same conditions and everything.
i dont think alignment is wrong because it drives super nice when the tires wasnt blistered.
i think its because of high air temp mixed with my aggressive mountain driving that started melting the rubber when i brake heavy into turns. but still nothing not like what i can do on a track. (dont have tracks here).
its either my pzeros were bad from the oven or im doing qualifying laps in my backyard which doesnt make sense. all the other 458s who run with me dont have this problem which make me more convinced my tires are bad. dont think theres anyhing i could do to make them look like that on the streets in 2k miles!!!! while my other fcars with pzeros are fine

Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I’d like more info to make a full assessment. ...

Old 08-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
yep, like $6k NT more!

Originally Posted by 20C4S

PSS should be marginally cheaper than those Pirelli. are they that much over there?

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
i admit 90% of my driving are in the mountains on the verge of tire adhesion, but im no pro so i dont think im doing close to the limits on the street. im sure i can tear a set up in 100miles if im on a track though.

Originally Posted by Alzilla
I think you might want to take a long, hard look at how you drive. You don't track your cars, but driving as if the street was a racetrack is a surefire way to burn through a set of tires just as quickly.

Quick Reply: Abused or just bad Pirelli Pzero Tires? (part III)....