Notices
458 | 430 | 360 Ferrari 458 Italia, F430/360, Scuderia/Stradale, Discussion Forum.

Motor Trend: Simply the Best: 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Motor Trend: Simply the Best: 2010 Ferrari 458 Italia

"The first Ferrari I ever drove was red with a tan interior and looked like sex on wheels. It was also a sphincter-shrinking bunny boiler; a sulky, evil-handling device that tried to kill me for no apparent reason midway through a quick left hander. That yowling little V-8 nestled behind my shoulders, those pert red Pininfarina curves and the iconic
Cavallino Rampante on the steering wheel still worked their magic on the car-crazy kid that lurks inside every auto writer. But it was a shock to realize I would have been much faster along the same roads, without the sweaty palms and sharp intakes of breath through every turn, driving an Acura NSX or an R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R instead of the Ferrari 348 tB.

The last Ferrari I drove was also red with a tan interior and looked like sex on wheels. I am older and supposedly a little wiser these days, but the sight of the first new Ferrari since the Enzo that didn't look like a pastiche of 1960s design cues still snapped a frisson of desire through my synapses as I strode up to it, ignition key in hand. And two hours later, after a 90-mile blast along one of my favorite California backroads -- a writhing, empty ribbon of tarmac I save for special cars like the Porsche Cayman S, BMW M3, and Corvette ZR1 -- I was quite prepared to declare the new Ferrari 458 Italia the best sports car I have ever driven.

The 458 Italia does away with the machismo nonsense that great sports cars must somehow be tamed. For years I read road tests where writers waxed lyrical about the click-clack of metal on metal as they worked a Ferrari shifter through that iconic metal gate. What they were really telling you was how good a driver they were, because they had mastered the difficult art of getting a Ferrari through a fast second-third gear-change. The 458 Italia has buttons and paddles and two pedals and can mooch around town like a Buick, with the transmission computer deciding which of the seven ratios it should be using. But find a quiet canyon road, switch the Manettino to Race mode, start working the paddles, and... oh Lordy! You'll be half a mile down the road while the click-clack guy's still trying to find third gear."